A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Help]CHarecter Selection

[Help]CHarecter Selection

THis is something I've ALWAYS had a problem with, in faxt I've cut 2 games because no one was able to help me with this before, but hopefully here i can get what I need ^_^

I'm making a fighting game, and I need some help. Character Selection is something any Fighting Game needs, and I'm trying to make it so that there are 4 charecters. At the character selection screen, you see pictures/poses of the 4 charecters and you select one like in any fighting game, but how do I get the Movie Clip the user chooses to be the one that appears in the fighting game? I have an idea, but I doubt it'll work.

My idea is similar to just when you select a charecter. in the Player ONe or Two Movie Clip, the character you choose would be duplicated into that Movie Clip. Then you coudl control PLayer One and the charecter would just be a duplicated Movie Clip inside another MOvie Clip. Depending on the charecter you choose, the action script for the "p1" MOvie Clip would affect the character inside.

That probably makes no sense, but I hope someone can understand this >.<

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Why don't you just make two strings in the _root that store the fighter names, one for each fighter? When the fight starts, for both movieclips, go to the frame that has the name of that fighter. Something like:
    this.gotoAndStop(_root.fighter1Name);
    If only we could be as productive as we are imaginative...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFl@shMan
    I have an idea, but I doubt it'll work.
    My idea is similar to just when you select a charecter. in the Player ONe or Two Movie Clip, the character you choose would be duplicated into that Movie Clip. Then you coudl control PLayer One and the charecter would just be a duplicated Movie Clip inside another MOvie Clip. Depending on the charecter you choose, the action script for the "p1" MOvie Clip would affect the character inside.
    Why do you doubt that? duplicateMovieClip(), attachMovie(), and ninja's suggestion can do what you're saying.
    Last edited by BobJohnson; 03-14-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Good Point. Will try. Or rather...
    Will Do.

Also, I have another Dilenma

I'm re-vamping my Spaceship Side-ScrolerGame [again].
    This time, however, the enemies will come in waves, and hte power-ups will be harder to obtain. Alot harder. I'm working on making health for the enemies (Can't be too easy).

Here's the problem: When you get a powere-up capsule while aimlessly flying around, a power-up selector appears on the bottom screen(Very similar to gradius) teh selector wil move up the power-up bar scale as you get mroe of them. But if a player wants to select one, I can't get it to implement the power-up slected.

Like, I made 2 seperate Movie Clips. One is just the plain bar that has the power-ups listed in columns. The Second has the selector in it, and it has 8 frames. The First Contains a blank keyframe; that's when you have either used the power-up or haven't gotten one. Teh seven frames cover the seven different power-up sections with a selecter. I just want to know how to, when you hit a certain key, how to implement that power-up that it's on. I can't seemto fully think through s script that cna work, but maybe you guys can. I dunno, can you guys help me?

I've attached my.fla so people can know what the hec I've been working on. I had to scrap sounds and teh random-enemy generation: it was failing the expectations of the game.

Anyway, It's in .zip format, and even if you don't have WinRAR/WinZip, it can still be opened with the default compression folder. Have fun, andthanks for all the help. I'll remeber to crtedit all of FlashKit Forums for their help. Specifically the ones that reply xD

THanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

O.o
    My [.fla] is messy...
    I should clean up the frames and everything O.o

Also, DOES anyone have a title for my game? I've never been able to find a suitable title. Maybe it'll come to me when I'm done making the game. I dunno.. I can't really glean a title because thsi game has absolutely no story line. Perhaps I should invent one O.o

I think you shoud edit your message rather than posting new ones.
    IMHO, I would accept "double posting" if last message was posted over an hour ago.

Okay, Will do.