A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sending mail using as and php.

Sending mail using as and php.

Hi. I have this contact form where i use as and php to send mails from the site .
    My problem is that the site is norwegian, and we have three special characters ( æ, ø and å ).

Now... when i write these into the form everything's ok, but when i send them using the php, these characters is messed up by the time i receive them in my mail. (e.g. "å" is converted to "Ã¥")

Does anybody know how i can fix this?

Thanks alot!

Grandmaster Flash
    Hi Magnus

This looks like an encoding problem. Perhaps PHP is handling this as an ASCII or UTF-7 string. You want to handle it as a UTF-8 or similar (which contains more characters like european accents, etc). Due to the fact I haven't used PHP for a while I'm not exactly sure how to set this. Perhaps you could modify the PHP script so that it writes to a text file, and see if you get the same results. If you don't then it may be the encoding in the email.

Sorry I can't help any more, but maybe it will point you in the right direction?

HTH
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This, in the PHP script, will decode the variable $message. Just change it for your own PHP variable.

$message=utf8_decode($_POST['message']);

gparis

That works great!

Thanks alot, both of you!

Grandmaster Flash
    Hi Magnus

This looks like an encoding problem. Perhaps PHP is handling this as an ASCII or UTF-7 string. You want to handle it as a UTF-8 or similar (which contains more characters like european accents, etc). Due to the fact I haven't used PHP for a while I'm not exactly sure how to set this. Perhaps you could modify the PHP script so that it writes to a text file, and see if you get the same results. If you don't then it may be the encoding in the email.

Sorry I can't help any more, but maybe it will point you in the right direction?

HTH
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.