A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way around Hardware Wizard?

Way around Hardware Wizard?

Per usual, Windows Hardware install wizard is being useless. I'm trying to install my DCU-11 cable (Sony Ericsson phone to USB). I have the drivers, but for some reason the wizard just refuses to aknowledge them. Any way to get around it?

Using XP Pro, by the way.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Do you have the option to "not search for a driver", and "install from specified location"?

Every time I use the Install From Specified Location choice, it only allows me to select folders, not files. And when I select the correct folder, it doesn't recognize the right .inf file, or any at all for that matter.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Right click on the .inf and select "install."

If you selected the correct folder with the correct drivers it should install with no problem.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

How the hell did I not know that already?

Thanks. Now to see if it works.

No.... ****ing... way....

The cable, bought this year, is only compatable with Win 98, ME, and 2000.

WHAT YEAR ARE THEY LIVING IN?! AGGHHHHH.

how can a cable be compatible with an OS?

please uninstall user.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Hey it happens! My camera wouldnt connect to my USB, but would you believe i could connect my broadband to the same usb port?
    I ended up having to buy a laptop cos i couldnt connect my camera! was not happy hey!
    Crystal
    Ban Software Patents!
    SuperGirl Blog

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    how can a cable be compatible with an OS?

please uninstall user.
    Well, using logic, if it can be compatable with the hardware (which it is) but the drivers refuse to install correctly, and it is listed on the website that it is compatable with other operating systems but not my own, then it is not compatable with the OS, correct?

I mean, am I missing something here or is this just a cheap shot at symantics? I'm incredibly sorry I wasn't absolutly specific in mentioning it was the drivers for the cable. I'll take more care next time, when I'm in a fit of rage.
    Last edited by ViRGo_RK; 03-15-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    Well, using logic, if it can be compatable with the but the drivers refuse to install correctly, and it is listed on the website that it is compatable with other operating systems but not my own, then it is not compatable with the OS, correct?

I mean, am I missing something here or is this just a cheap shot at symantics?
    I reckon its just microsoft being a meanie!
    Crystal
    Ban Software Patents!
    SuperGirl Blog

My old PC would never recognize my cablemodem's drivers when connected via USB, and then it would ask me if I wanted to connect to the internet to find the right drivers.

Requesting thread deletion. Since we can't do it ourselves anymore, and this thread serves no purpose. It'll just get nasty.

Is it an original overpriced cable, or one of those cheap no-name ones? I bought one of those cheap knock-offs for my Nokia and I could never get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    Requesting thread deletion. Since we can't do it ourselves anymore, and this thread serves no purpose. It'll just get nasty.
    Naw, you're fine now. Making more sense.

Answer me this though. Is it the cable or the product at the end of the cable that's not working properly?

Also, above it was listed... add new hardware > have disk - I'm doing this from memory - and you should be able to install the Win2k drivers just fine in most cases for WinXP Pro.

Only times I've ever had problems were surrounding USB2 and anything that needed access to the TCP/IP kernel... so modems and anything wireless is included in that list of possible problems.

With that said... what's the product, model number... and what errors are you seeing in the Event Viewer under Applications?

Right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Applications... look for errors and what not.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Having read the reviews, I expected to struggle with this product, but it does work, and with XP SP2 and the Sony Ericsson K300i, also purchased via Amazon. The basic software for connecting was OK from the vendor I used, but the secret to making this cable work well may be in the Sony Ericsson file manager that can be downloaded free from their site. You can find links to the relevant pages here http://www.imagery.me.uk/useful-amazon-links.shtml
    Hope this helps.

from here:
    http://www.shopireland.ie/electronic...-11-USB-Cable/

It appears to me it must be the cable or the drivers, as the software refuses to recognize the cable when it is plugged in. It is also stated on Sony Ericsson's website, which I didn't look at until last night, that is compatible with only 98, ME, and 2000. I guess it was wrong of me to assume that it would work with the most current OS

After looking at Darkstar's post, possibly the reason it does not work is I do not have SP2. Last time I checked there were WAY too many issues with it. Is it cool to download now, or is it still crap?

i have had 0 problems with sp2. legit software ftw

plugging in a cable doesnt make your computer see the cable. plugging in the cable attached to the hardware you want to install has the computer see the hardware.

unless teh cable is some sort of usb docking station, where you would dock your phone, i dont see how the cable isnt compatable with your system.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Only times I've ever had problems were surrounding USB2 and anything that needed access to the TCP/IP kernel... so modems and anything wireless is included in that list of possible problems.
    Thats one more thing I noticed while looking at the specs AFTER the purchase (stupid on my part, I know). It's USB 1.1. But I still think USB 2.0 supports USB 1, does it not?

yes its backwards compatible.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.