A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Layers on koolmovies

Layers on koolmovies

I like to make layers. if is posible can tell me how to make
    I'm new with koolmovies and I have somany questions.

thanks vargf

what do you mean?

Having things at different depths within a movie? or something to do with HTML layers?

Steve

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    Technically each shape is a "layer" in KoolMoves...
    But to use the "layer" you need to convert those shapes to a movie clip.

On the tool bar there is a button that has a movie reel and a paper clip.
    Two options, create a new MC or convert selected shape(s) to movie clip.

The same options can be found under the shapes menu...

I find it easier to convert a selected shape...
    Then, go to the movieclip frames in the shape properties.

layers

I mean create layers like in flash

for example

Layer 1---->Kyframe|anotherKyframe|so on
    Layer 2---->Kyframe|anotherkyframe|so on

for actionscript porpuses and animation cartoons

thanks

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    Again, that is MovieClips in KoolMoves...
    I don't think I can explain it any better.

Layers and MovieClips

In Flash MX, Layers are used to "group assets" or isolate content elements. MovieClips can do the same thing. For example, you would create a sprite in a movie clip. If you're getting really complex, your sprite or whatever would have sub movie clips independantly controlling the motion of the eyes, lips, arms, etc. Your sprite can be embedded with other sprites within a parent movie clip within which they would interact. At the top level is the movie (_root).

Each movieclip has its own timeline of frames, but the frame rate for all timelines is determined by the _root timeline. Movieclips share many properties and design features with the main movie (_root). For example, the movie and each movieclip has their (its?) own content stack. A movieclip's content stack is a sub stack of its parent movie's (or movieclip's) content stack.

The content stack determines the physical stacking order of objects (shapes, text boxes, movie clips, etc) in a frame within a timeline (movie or movieclip) on the stage. So a warrior sprite at depth 10 can hide behind a tree shape at depth 100.

Depths within a content stack range from -16384 to 1048575. 0 to 1048575 are reserved for dynamically (ie, runtime) generated stuff; -16383 to -1 are reserved for author-time stuff. Depth -16384 is reserved for dynamic content that appears beneath all author-time content in each clip - basically a runtime created background.

When you factor in all the embedding that can be done, there is thereoretically an unlimited number of objects/items that Flash can handle. However, your Flash Player will crap out at a certain point due to memory constraints.

ActionScript can be attached to a movieclip and/or embedded within the Frames within the movieclip. This code can be used to exchange data between movieclips (timelines) as well as apply behavior to the movieclip.

Chapter 13 in the KoolMoves manual has an introduction on how to create and access movieclips, but this forum (and other Flashkit forums) has many examples on how to use movie clips to achieve specific purposes. I would recommend you peruse the manual and then make some focused searches. I hope this helps .

Peter