dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non Catholic marrying a catholic

Congratulations =)

I didn't read the whole thread, too long, only one question loydall, if you so don't believe in God, why do you have problem in lie?
    Just lie! pretend that you believe! will save everyone troubles.
    self respect/pride you say? does that really have more value than not having a headache of thinking all those stuff? =P

Edit: btw I'm not really suggesting those. but there are only a very few instances (at least from my peers in this side of the world) where marriage works well if both the man and woman doesn't have same belief.
    you can say all those stuff now, because you are under the love's charm (or so they say), but wait till one-two years later, you'll see...
    Last edited by luvenny; 03-20-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkis2001
    Stand up to these people.
    What exactly would he be standing up to? No one's stopping them from getting married.

I am senior at high school right now and i am fully confident at what i believe in now and what i say.
    Did anyone else over 25 chuckle at this?

I believe all these religion people are ignorent. They do and believe what they have been told. It's all crap. Now i am not saying they are bad people. I am just saying they lack the knowlede.
    So what, like, half the people here are ignorant?

Just a note loydall, I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything. Just trying to let you know what to expect. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    * raises hand *

ive been there too though.

* raises both hand...

I managed to held back my urge to reply to the man

edit: eh wait nvm, i'm not 25 yet. miscalculated my age...

I am senior at high school right now and i am fully confident at what i believe in now and what i say.

Ya know, chuckle if you want, but I knew at about 8 it was all BS and I haven't changed my mind on that yet. Not likely to. I'm still quite content to be a non-believer.

On the other hand, I have lied under the circumstances proposed here, cause I thought that it was really none of anyones business what I do or do not believe in, so all it deserved was whatever I wanted to tell them. I do the same thing when a cop asks me how fast I was going when he stopped me. If you admit to going 60 in a 55, they'll use it against you. Religious freaks are no different.
    Last edited by Ask The Geezer; 03-20-2006 at 11:34 PM.

I believe he was referring to the fact that he's only senior in high school and yet act as if he knew everything. I don't think he's referring to the religious part...

Why do you have to put everything in religious context?

Why do you have to put everything in religious context?
    Because it's a religious context thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Because it's a religious context thread?
    haha I guessed that's your reply. but this is CL! thread hijacking is common!

ok I was just kidding.

I know you won't understand this at the age you're at now...it'll probably sound like an annoying uncle/cousin who knows everything.............

But, once you get out of high school, your entire mindset changes. No matter if you go to college or strike out on your own. More than just your friends by your locker change, more than the sports you played, more than just your girlfriend, more than just your relationships with your parents.

The day you graduate high school is like the day that you are reborn into something that forgets all of your past. It's amazing. I loved high school, but i'm so glad i'm more mature than i was then.
    </nostalgic rant>

heheeh!</immaturity>

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    I know you won't understand this at the age you're at now...it'll probably sound like an annoying uncle/cousin who knows everything............
    Let me tell you about that feeling. It's so strange, I see you saying the same things I thought at the time. Like the first time, I think I was about 25, and I had this clear picture of something I did at 18, and remember that I felt so grown up at 18, but looking back on it, from 25, I had to laugh, cause at 18, I was such a punk and so stupid it was laughable. At 25, I knew I was so much more grown up and mature.

Guess what happend one day when I was 35? I had the same thought about that day I was feeling so superior to myself at 25.

And at 45, guess what?

You see where this ends? It doesn't end. I just had that same damn laugh at myself just last year, only now, I see that it's just something that happens, probably to all of us. I laugh, but I just don't think I'm superior any more, cause I know that ******* is waiting for me when I hit 65.

Great - I'm enjoying where this thread's going. I'm 30 and I know what I think and believe in now could/will change over the next 5, 10, 20 etc.. years..

Crikey - If I think back to when I was 20 and some of the ideas I had in my head, I cringe so much that it brings me out in a sweat...

Anyway - cheers for all your advice. Interesting stuff. Maybe the way I worded the question made it sound like we hadn't thought or talked about it but we have. It's odd, as far as a relationship goes, our very different views/beliefs concerning God and religion make us stronger as a couple - we both enjoy our differences. That's what makes us.

I suppose what I'm after is a way to celebrate our relationship and those differences in a way that we're both happy with.

At the end of the day it's only and hour or so that the wedding is going to last then we can all go off and get ratted (drunk).

We've actually been going out for the best part of 10 years now so I'm confident that the religion thing is something we can work with..
    Last edited by loydall; 03-21-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Oh, and lefteyewilly, you're right. The older you get, the funnier breaking wind gets. Great.

Quote Originally Posted by loydall
    Great - I'm enjoying where this thread's going. I'm 30 and I know what I think and believe in now could/will change over the next 5, 10, 20 etc.. years..

Crikey - If I think back to when I was 20 and some of the ideas I had in my head, I cringe so much that it brings me out in a sweat...

Anyway - cheers for all your advice. Interesting stuff. Maybe the way I worded the question made it sound like we hadn't thought or talked about it but we have. It's odd, as far as a relationship goes, our very different views/beliefs concerning God and religion make us stronger as a couple - we both enjoy our differences. That's what makes us.

I suppose what I'm after is a way to celebrate our relationship and those differences in a way that we're both happy with.

At the end of the day it's only and hour or so that the wedding is going to last then we can all go off and get ratted (drunk).

We've actually been going out for the best part of 10 years now so I'm confident that the religion thing is something we can work with..
    So... is she hot?

Believe it or not i too started to rejecting the religions and God thru high school. I am senior at high school right now and i am fully confident at what i believe in now and what i say. I believe all these religion people are ignorent.
    Looks like we are starting to reap the benefits of getting rid of God in our schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    So... is she hot?
    Yeah - I think so....

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Looks like we are starting to reap the benefits of getting rid of God in our schools.
    surely god is everywhere?
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Quote Originally Posted by swampy
    surely god is everywhere?
    Nah, he used to be around if you wanted, but I guess he got tired of dealing with all of the lawsuits.

What an interesting post/thread!!

I am the product of a catholic/non-catholic marriage. I wasn't there, but I understand they had two rooms at the reception - one for each religion. The Baptist part wasn't too thrilled with the drinking and dancing in the Catholic room!

As to the Christian/Non-Christian thing, I wish more of you had studied Quantum Physics. You would surely know then that the world is not always so easy to grasp in single cut&dried statements. An electron may be a particle - or a wave. It may be here - or there. We can't know.

More importantly, if we want to succeed in Physics, we must adapt each view at times. We understand that neither is probably correct. Yet to stand up and say, "An electron is not a particle!" isn't all that useful.

Those here who decry the faithful as ignorant are taking on some pretty big minds. Can you be that sure you are smarter than Einstein? John Paul? 400 generations of parents trying to choose what is best for their kids? Jefferson and kings, queens, and leaders at all levels for 2000 years?

Cathlocism isn't such a bad thing to get involved with. If you sit down with the Catechism of the Catholic Faith, and dig down to some of the really interesting questions like when to dis and when not to dis, and is it ever ok to kill and why...you get some pretty interesting thinking developed over a lot longer time than say the peer review process of the Journal of the AMA.

At the core, though it gets pretty simple. Are you willing to love your neighbor as yourself. Not just your next door neighbor, but the Marsh Arab, the Hindu low caste, the dude that took your parking space and made you late? If you're not, then you don't get Jesus. If you are, then maybe formal Christianity has some learnin to offer.

But of course, churches aren't about debate. They are about community. Seeing people once a week that you would never see anyway. Getting to know a couple old ladies who were once as dynamic as you but now just need some conversation. Learning who needs a little help. Looking out for some kids.

First of all Congraditionals
    I believe all these religion people are ignorent. They do and believe what they have been told. It's all crap. Now i am not saying they are bad people. I am just saying they lack the knowlede.
    First off, if your going to insult a group of peoples intelligence, try typing with some. *come on, you bloody spelled ignorant wrong as well as a couple other words in the above quote
    Second, I believe that you just called his future wife ignorant.
    Third, Just because someone has a belief other than your own does not make them ignorant. As a matter of fact you are the one coming off as ignorant and non tolerant when making statements like the above.

You can't lie about believing. To do so would be a direct insult to the person your engaged to, do to what she believes in. I say go with a non-religious wedding.

Congrats and have a blessed life with one another
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Like the first time, I think I was about 25, and I had this clear picture of something I did at 18, and remember that I felt so grown up at 18, but looking back on it, from 25, I had to laugh, cause at 18, I was such a punk and so stupid it was laughable. At 25, I knew I was so much more grown up and mature.
    Henry Rollins has a bit almost identical to that. Well, it's funnier than yours. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by loydall
    It's odd, as far as a relationship goes, our very different views/beliefs concerning God and religion make us stronger as a couple - we both enjoy our differences. That's what makes us.
    That's good then.

Amen.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.