A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Couple Questions Regaurding A Website

Couple Questions Regaurding A Website

Hello, im quite new to creating a website in flash along with buttons and such so I have a number of questions here. (Keep in mind I know quite a bit on baisic animating in flash so im familiar with all the terms.

First off, im pretty much making my website off this one:

www.drdre.com

I have my intro set up exactly the same way as the one shown in the link, but I am having problems making my face fade from a black shadow to the cartoonish face I have made up.

Question 2

I have a navigation board on the right side of my website with all my buttons (about me, video's, Images, Fourms) I have created them so when you move the mouse cursor over top of them it changes from white lettering to red and when you click down it changes to white. The problem I am having, is my buttons only change color when you click directly on a letter in the word (If I click on the button "about me" I have to click it on a letter or it wont highlight (which can get annoyinh) if I click in between letters it wont highlight either. Is there any way I can fix that? So its more user friendly.

Question 3

How do I get my intro to stop repeating itself? I just want it to play it one time through and not repeat after that.

Question 4

Once I get all my buttons organized, how do I link them to different parts of my site?

I think thats all for now.

Thankyou

Erik

_global.chosenson="flash"; chosenson's Avatar
    I can answer the last three questions. The first is a design problem. Something I would have to work with myself.

"Question 2

I have a navigation board on the right side of my website with all my buttons (about me, video's, Images, Fourms) I have created them so when you move the mouse cursor over top of them it changes from white lettering to red and when you click down it changes to white. The problem I am having, is my buttons only change color when you click directly on a letter in the word (If I click on the button "about me" I have to click it on a letter or it wont highlight (which can get annoyinh) if I click in between letters it wont highlight either. Is there any way I can fix that? So its more user friendly."

Edit your buttons. In the fourth frame, ('hit'), place a blank keyframe. Then draw in a shape the size you want for a hit area. After drawing the shape, set the alpha for 0%, making it invisible.

"Question 3

How do I get my intro to stop repeating itself? I just want it to play it one time through and not repeat after that."

Place a stop(); or a gotoAndPlay(frame number or label); on the last frame of the intro.

Always be sure to use correct targeting paths
    ( _root.gotoAndPlay(frame number or label); )

Note: Frame labels are better to use. Just highlight desired frame and in the properties panel enter a unique label.

"Question 4

Once I get all my buttons organized, how do I link them to different parts of my site?"

Again, refer to question 3, using the gotoAndPlay();action.

i.e.
    on(press){
    _root.gotoAndPlay("uniqueFtrameLabel");
    }

Good Luck!
    If you have a question, need some help, email me:chosenson

It's always the simplest things that escape the complex mind!

always be just

Thankyou very much for your reply. I really think its going to help alot. One question though. Where do I go to set the Aphla to 0? I know I have seen that before but I cant remember where. Also, with my flash pages, when I want to create a new page, do I just create a new scene and start from there? (I am using flash MX if that helps)

Erik
    Last edited by erik_james; 03-28-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Never mind, I figured out the Alpha thing and the buttons work great. I just need to link some stuff and get new pages set up. I just need to know how to create a new page. Do I just start a new scene?

Erik

_global.chosenson="flash"; chosenson's Avatar
    You can start a new scene if you wish. Personally, I just use the same timeline. (less headaches)
    If you have a question, need some help, email me:chosenson

It's always the simplest things that escape the complex mind!

always be just