A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE lawsuit affects on Flash?

IE lawsuit affects on Flash?

I haven't heard much of anything about this but would this deactivate embedded Flash until it is activated by the user?

The story

yes

This was moved from the News Forum to the Coffee Lounge... where this has been covered before in the recent past.

Search for it. And in the future, please post in the appropriate forum. Posting this in the News Forum was quite wrong.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

"What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

question, would dynamically loading the section of code with the embed/object/applet tags via php prevent this? I heard somewhere that the page couldn't directly interect with the applet but if its calling it from a text file thats not direct, yes?

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

You'd have to write the code dynamically client-side, using JS, to circumvent this.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

meh, someone needs to get kung fooed in the back of the head...

-From a work for hire ad

Am I the only one who sees discrepences between the title and the first paragraph?

Microsoft Delays IE's ActiveX D-Day
    Microsoft is moving full steam ahead with a plan,,,,
    If your moving full steam ahead then you are not delaying

they are delaying it because another scheduled update would overwrite the fix so they are going to patch it after that update but they are doing it...

-From a work for hire ad

Wow. Just wow. Can you believe the balls these guys have?

Eolas Technologies says the decision by Microsoft to modify its Internet Explorer browser at the expense of a seamless user experience is a "disappointment" and a "shame."

Reacting to news that the next cumulative IE security update will require an extra mouse-click to interact with certain embedded multimedia content, Eolas Chief Operating Officer Mark Swords called on the software maker to purchase a patent license instead of worsening the browsing experience.
    "Microsoft is apparently of the position that this [IE modification] helps their litigation position. I can't comment on the specifics of whether that's true or not. Our position remains the same. We are ready to have reasonable discussions on licensing the technology," Swords said.
    "I've seen the reaction in the media and elsewhere that this is an action that could actually worsen the user experience. If that's true, that would be a disappointment and a shame. It will probably lead to a lot of complaints," Swords added.
    Swords also moved swiftly to correct an erroneous public impression that the IE modifications were the result of a court order. "There is no court order forcing Microsoft to do anything. Anything that is being done is of Microsoft's own choosing," he said.

"It's clear that the ruling of infringement stands. We are going through an appeals process on some very narrow issues," Swords said, referring to the August 2003 jury verdict that Microsoft must pay $521 million for infringing on Eolas' patent.
    I want 10 minutes alone with this douchebag. He tries to blackmail MS with a BS patent that shouldn't have been upheld anyway, then cries like a baby and makes MS out to be evil because he knows he's not getting his half a billion for doing nothing.

Will some script kiddle please hack their site ( www.eolas.com ) and use nothing but EMBED, APPLET and OBJECT tags all over the place, so their site becomes utterly useless?
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

The real test is whether they'll go after Mozilla, Opera and Apple after this. They don't have the deep pockets MS does.

If they don't, I hope MS calls bullsh*t on them and drops the extra click.

I got an idea, how bout everyone spam every email of theirs we can find with animal pr0n.

-From a work for hire ad

Seriously... why isn't there a rule if you've patented something and made a profit from it, you have to either improve upon it, continue development on it, or at least use it to help people in the manner it was supposed to be implemented instead of just sitting back on your ass and just profiting for it - technology only though.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I'm a little confused, this article makes it seem like MS already has given these retards money
    http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/...aadahdadhj_jf/
    The inventing team finally won some MS-respect when a federal jury awarded them US$520.6 million in 2003, which was followed by thumping reaffirmations of the patent's standing by both the US Patent Office and the US Supreme Court.
    Also...
    So how much should Firefox users care?

Eolas-Master Doyle told eWeek that open-sourcers are safe. It seems you have little to worry about... as long as you're not an 800 pound gorilla in the northwest corner of the United States... Or at least, that's the way we read it. (If he hadn't had UC backing him up, Doyle would likely have been NetScaped.)
    wtf...

-From a work for hire ad

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    They aren't going to go after someone if it doesn't give them some kind of financial benefit. Firefox wouldn't help them but Apple would. I could see them going after Apple as soon as this MS bs is done.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Apple and MS both give their browsers away with the operating system. Opera was the only company actually charging for it's browser. (They still do for mobile, correct?)

This is a case of who has the deepest pockets and the biggest market influence. If I were Apple, I'd sit back and do nothing. Eolas won't go after them after MS refused to pay.

I hope Mike Doyle and Mark Swords buy very expensive cars with their money, and proceed to get in horrbile accidents with them.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    If Microsoft wins then I agree that will be the end but if Eolas wins then Apple will be targeted. Opera and Firefox would be such a huge hassle to target for what they'd get out of it but with Microsoft and Apple being 2 of the largest/richest companies in the world, why not try to take their money?
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Can't somebody sue eolas for making life harder. I mean, if eolas can win on this one, I bet someone can win against eolas. Something like what gerbick said

I sue eolas because they are harming my work, my client's business, my clients' clients, etc.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

never really looked into the details of this case until now. what complete crap. and what another disappointing ruling from the PTO, demonstrating how incompetent they are in IT. this isnt the first.

this is like patenting walking by describing how you put one foot forward and then step past with the other.

look at the abstract for it:

link
    Last edited by indivision; 03-31-2006 at 08:05 PM.