A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popular ActionScript Actions - PLEASE contribute :-)

Popular ActionScript Actions - PLEASE contribute :-)

Hi all!
    I love KM and am hungry to learn as much as I can about this program.

Could those of you who are more experienced with ActionScritp contribute small examples and .fun files so that we new users can get up-to-speed and start programing sooner? Lots of the KoolMoves samples and fun files on the net where created in early versions and don't load anymore or the site is no longer up, so a fresh start would be a "Kool Move" for the community!

Please contribute a sample or two Thank you!!!

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Lots of the KoolMoves samples and fun files on the net where created in early versions
    Not all are

OK, maybe I should have used different words ....

What would help me (and maybe lots of others on here) is some small ActionScript samples that say, look, if you want to rotate something, do this. If you want to move something, this code will do that.

Does anyone know of a AS (ActionScript) tutorial for another software (there are lots for swishmax and flash8) that can be adopted to use in KM? I've tried some but they didn't want to run. It would be cool if we could get a wiki or at least some "beginner samples" that point us new users in the right directon. The above links are complicated and undocumented (except for one) and therefore useless for a newbie like me.

Anyway .... just a thought. If you guys are too busy, I understand. It was just a shot.

SWiSH has it's own variation called SWiSHscript that is not exactly the same as actionscript. Most flash 8 examples are written in ActionScript 2.0 . KM supports ActionScript 1.0 (almost completely).

So you have to search for ActionScript 1.0 examples.

w.brants,
    thanks for that info. I guess my main problem is that I don't have much time anymore but still would like to get going with KoolMoves.
    An example would be this swishmax tutorial that I was able to use with KoolMoves rotate

I'm just wondering if anyone else hase some more like this one? If yes, please post a link :-)
    Last edited by Dr_John; 04-03-2006 at 01:04 AM.

Focusing on Swish code is setting yourself up for work. Why use Swish to learn rudimentary Actionscript when their syntax is completely different than Koolmoves or Flash?

You say you have little time. So you are looking for what exactly? Simple things like _rotation? Actionscript dictionary.
    Last edited by Chris_Seahorn; 04-03-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Hello Chris,
    right now I'm pretty much after anything that I can do with KM. My graphics background is very strong but I have never programed anything before.

It would be a lot of fun for me to read litte tutorials and re-create them on my own .... say "WOW" and go on to the next.

It's hard to find "the right" tutorials on the net and google will spit out a lot of stuff which takes for ever to varify if they might work in KM. Most don't.

Swish has so many people who have contributed, why can't the KM community start some little projects. There ought to be a lot of new users out there who would be happy to develop apps in KM. Just a few well documented tutorials would be a great start.

One of the things that makes finding answers more difficult is that we have to live with the fact that KM doesn't host an own forum. Flashkit has only one KM section making it sometimes hard to track back old threads. Most of the simple things have been asked and covered before but are hard to find using the search function. If there were multiple sections like 'KM wizards', 'gui related', 'actionscript basics', 'advanced actionscript', 'showcase' etc. it would be easier to find what you are looking for since you could narrow down the search to a specific section.

Also you might want to check the KM support page if you haven't already done that.
    http://www.koolmoves.com/support.html
    There's a lot of links to tutorials there (also covering actionscript basics).

We also have a dynamic that nobody likes to talk about. Our lack of community trickles down to everything including how we distribute code.

Why does Necromanthus bugtest his upcoming forum privately (selected servers) and when it does release it will be SWF only with backside config files for control. He is making the package available to the community but the community will not benefit from the skill because the source will be held and the community is not part of the building process. Notice where your upgrades come from in your download windows....necro's server. So he must be a valued asset to the team yet even his most valuable code (as far as anything else he serves is concerned) will be protected and horded by him and his upcoming forum will be a "limited access" learning aide. It could even be made with flash or even swishmax because you won't get the source so you being a Koolmoves user really doesn't matter. You don't end up with a forum you learn how to make and understand the code that drives it, you end up with a flash forum you can USE and control from the ass end. Big deal...if that is what you want choose any flash forum because thats about how much access you'll have.

Now before you think I'm bashing Necro...I'm not. I understand exactly how he thinks and why he distributes code this way. I also could dump tons of code on this platform but won't. Why? Because when I do I have to server it from my server, dedicate my assets to help this platform and the end result will be someone coming into the forum and bragging about how much money they made off my code. Anyone remember that? I think they actually called me "engine boy" to boot. Why would I offer a forum? A CMS system? A PM system or anything MySQL related? Without a file repository I set myself up for theft and a major waste of time and at most all I can hope for is someone pointing out how much money they made off my sweat and testing.

I just revamped my Swishmax CMS system as a community project. Why can't I do that with Koolmoves? That platform promotes community by having:

1. An inhouse code repository where you submit for approval. The code is credited to you...allows for a history in disputes (code jacking) and gives you pride for meeting the approval of the selection process and getting listed. I have files listed there that will ALWAYS be there and are ALWAYS easily available to new users right from the place they bought the software.

2. An inhouse forum where there are specific forums on specific aspects of the software, moderated by people who know how to use it and also allows for more threads to be visible before being archived (forced search). Support for Swishmax customers is completely different from the way Koolmoves handles it.

3. A cohesive community where the base of community websites interact, support and all rally round the Swish flag. We have a bunch of users who are rivals with each other (me included), competitive and very protective of their code. We are all listed in the Koolmoves support page but we all get along like a pack of wolves in reality.

I remember getting my head caved in when I said any platform is only as good as it's available source code. I still feel that way. I just don't mention it these days because I get moderated. Look at you....you are getting more help from Swish-DB (a swish site) than any of our resource websites....doesn't that say a lot?

A few months back Bob had mentioned upcoming "Big Changes" but all that has gleamed is a new package (Flashy Effects) and a new website (which is just a redesigned version of the last with the same content) which hasn't helped our lack of community one bit. If he is happy with how the platform is playing out.....how can we say he is wrong. I don't...I just focus on Swish and Flash until Koolmoves pulls it's head out of the sand. Maybe it will....maybe it won't.

I agree with you at some point Chris.

An inhouse forum and code repository helps increasing the quality of things created with a product. It also makes it able to give better support to different kind of user groups so newbies don't get overwhelmed by advanced things and advanced scripters don't have to be afraid code they share will scare people away and animators don't get bothered all the time with scripting issues.

One other issue is the instant solution society most of us live in. Some of us like Remus (aka Necromanthus), myself and maybe you and some others to are coding since the 80's. I guess quite a few KM users weren't even born then. Learning a programming language takes time. More and more I notice people who only want a routine that does exactly what they want but don't want to spend time to learn how to create it themselves. In the past I explained how KM users could create their own motion scripts but no one seems to do so. Even if Remus would share the code of his forum most users won't understand it and would only try to modify the appearance and remove his logo.

I love the open source concept and would be happy to participate in a community project if I like it and can be of help but it's only useful if enough users want to participate to keep it going.

Wilbert

Even if Remus would share the code of his forum most users won't understand it and would only try to modify the appearance and remove his logo.
    I agree completely. It would get jacked almost immediately.

All us oldtime users know is the difference between now and then. Back in the day you either had to Buy flash or get your hands on a pirated version (rare) to be able to create code. The cost of entry was high and commercial coders who wanted to make flash had this one program to rely on. When low cost 3rd party apps like Swish and Koolmoves came out...the cost of entry was much lower...made it accessible to anyone wanting to be a flash designer or template maker and code jacking becomes more common because source code allows a lazy user to adapt an existing resource to a saleable item with little to no effort and usually screwing the creator in the process.

I use the forum example because if no source is offered...how can this be considered a "Koolmoves" resource? Owning Koolmoves means little if you are editing an XML backside or PHP config file to change things in a "Koolmoves" movie. How does owning the program matter? What exactly do you think you will be editing?

I also hate the "well, people wouldn't understand it anyway". That is bogus and users are smarter than we give them credit for. If we NEVER show them complicated code how will they EVER learn it? We can't justify keeping our platform simple by assuming everyone is stupid. All it does is drive them to other platforms for code. Dr John relies on code examples from Swish code. He is not the only one. Tons of Koolmoves users are foraging in flash forums all over the place...we have no choice. We have no cohesion and we have no firm central base for the community. We can dodge the fact all we want but it is true and Dr John is just one of many users who will encounter his situation if things stay as-is.

I have CMS code just sitting idle. It uses an admin panel for control so theoretically I could create an SWF package that allows all control to be handled by the admin panel and never have to release the source. The question is...what good is that to you as a Koolmoves user? Same with my forum....same with every single bit of my MySQL packages from every CMS module I have ever made. It's a damn risk to serve it up as source and serving it locally doesn't help as far as code disputes are concerned without a central code repository with a submission date stamped on it.

Show me some Koolmoves code using a database for example. None of this cutsie crap that shows one function. Show me some inbound and outbound MySQL code that Koolmoves users can use and I will shut my mouth. How old is this platform? I am the only one who thinks this is odd?

I used to argue with everyone over it. Now...it just isn't worth it and I will adapt to how the community works. If this is how they want things...who am I to rock the boat. I won't however be the token code provider while others horde code and offer SWF packages and will just fire up one of the other apps for "community" projects. If the community is happy with these little snippets and trinkets we offer....so be it. Looking for code that actually does something? You might find yourself at a Flash site copy/pasting code.
    Last edited by Chris_Seahorn; 04-03-2006 at 02:08 PM.

I am sorry this post has turned this way .... maybe it's better to leave it at that.
    I do agree with you guyes that "cut-and-paste" isn't the answer ether but what was on my mind was to make the missing manual ourselfs. You all know I'm developing music apps for our school and it took me about 10 days to get the help on here to make the trumpet app.
    I'm at a point where I'm most likely to switch to swishmax because of all the tutorial stites out there. A few days ago I bought the SwishMax Bible and for what I need to know, that book pretty much covers it all.
    As far a creating goes, I love KoolMoves, it feel good to use it and as we speak I'm hard at work at "The Notes" volume one application. I guess without better tutorials and sample projects, KM will not be the tool for me.

Any thoughts on Swish? I value your guys comments and it will help me decide which way to go.

All in all, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

me

You are making the wrong move. If the Koolmoves resources cannot sustain your need for existing examples....heading off to Swish is not the solution. By sticking with Koolmoves you have a more powerful app....one that allows for ALL AS1 CODE you find to be IMMEDIATELY used in your Koolmoves app without having to edit it and would allow you to choose from thousands of Flash examples that exist now.

Swish I know like the back of my hand and although I am fond of Swish...I am not foolish enough to think it's as powerful as Koolmoves. You choose Swish you are choosing the least capable of the big 3 (Flash,KM,Swish). Take a look at those components we have with Koolmoves....they are just like Flash. In swish be prepared to build EVERYTHING as it has none. Zero. Zip. Null. You know why I learned to code everything? Because Swish forced me to.

Righto I bought the AS bible and it's great as everything mostly works without change in KM. Stick with us, you'll be glad in the long run. Not any harder than Mediator, I know I was a Mediator user too.

Just to clarify, when we say that KoolMoves only supports AS1, this doesn't mean that KoolMoves doesn't support Flash 8, just that the Flash 8 examples need to be rewritten with AS1 syntax.

Re tutorials and references, this forum has many threads on recommended reference books and online resources, and many posts containing code for specific solutions and links to senior member sites w/ sample code. I've posted a couple responses recommending Colin Moock's ActionScript Definitive Guide, 2nd edition, which is a great introduction to AS1 and the ActionScript language through Flash Player 6 - after that, you can rewrite Flash 8 examples to your heart's content. I think a couple excellent books describing Flash 8 commands have been recommended in this forum already.

If you haven't already, I recommend you check out the KoolMoves manual and the user guides, which, while not tutorials, give a relatively up to date overview of what KoolMoves is capable of and its ease of use. The manual (204 pages w/ index) also addresses recomended third party software and other tips and tricks to enhance using KoolMoves. To facilitate portability and printability, the manual and user guides are pdf files, and new drafts are currently being reviewed that, when posted to the KoolMoves support page, will have TOC (Table of Contents) and internal bookmarks and hyperlinks to external references.

Given the high degree of commonality with mainstream ActionScript, while a KoolMoves bible detailing basic actions would be useful, it would also be mildly redundant given the available flash references that can (almost) be used directly. A compilation of sample KoolMoves code posted to this forum in response to frequently asked requests would be great; it would also be a monumental task, one which I'll be glad to start the next time I'm laid off .

As has often been stated, KoolMoves is the best bang for the buck. Anyway, I hope this addressed your original request.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pherbrick
    JA compilation of sample KoolMoves code posted to this forum in response to frequently asked requests would be great; it would also be a monumental task, one which I'll be glad to start the next time I'm laid off .
    ROTFLMAO thats funny Peter..... And I forgot to mention the manual which is a great resource.

Thank you, Bret.

I have read this thread and it seems like everything is off topic. Dr john asked for a simple actionscript answer and this blog appeared. What Dr john is doing is nothing new. If you go to my site http://www.diversioncentral.com/ and go to downloads and click on virtual drums (not the tech band, sloppy on my part) you will get a drum set from 2002. This was done in koolmoves with buttons. It is all simple stuff in koolmoves. As for copying programs, The consenus was that you do not post if you think someone will copy. That was for all programs like Java, C++, even FORTRAN. AND scripting.

I have some koolmove files with simple actionscript that I could post when I get home but I am Trapped in Iceland and I go home tomorrow. Mabye this weekend I can post.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

There ya go Doc...problem solved