dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Thinking of a good way to display my portfolio...

Thinking of a good way to display my portfolio...

I've been looking at my site www.coffeebreak.co.nz and was trying to think of a way to better show my portfolio as I currently let the user download a PDF of my portfolio samples... though I would like a better way... any ideas?

Christopher Mitchell
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

Hi I looked at your site the other day, its like fishing, show me a little bit of something to make me move towards the hook, if the worm is dead you wont catch a fish.

in the portfolio, put in there something that looks really bright clean well designed (even if its a small section of an image) and you will have more people download the pdf (i did nt download it) also the contact bugged me, all the other sections are places well, the contact is just in the middle, so I have to close it to navigate (eek)

think fishing if you had a sample of great work, I would have downloaded the pdf.

keep us updated on the progress, I'm interested to see how you get on

bp

Thanks for the input Black.. I was toying with an idea, but I stopped as I needed something working quickly.. Now that has been achieved I might go back to the idea I was playing with and have another go... means playing around with the layers and probably means moving the contact box (as it happens I didn't like that to begin with either..)

Thanks again Black

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

Well I think that this might work ok... I just did it quickly (need to work on it some more).

www.coffeebreak.co.nz/test

Tell me what you think?

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

As a general tip, pdf's are frowned upon for webpages. They interupt the users "cycle", and they're apt to ignore it.
    I'd use a dynamic scrollbar loading from an xml file. That way it still looks great, it's easily editable, and the user doesn't have to download anything.
    Best of luck, your site's looking great.
    Thanks,
    Herald of Woe

hmmm i'll have to look into how to do that... not had much exposure to xml.... thanks for the input.. I was working on it some more last night but fell asleep doing it lol

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

My .02¢...
    I think because it is a resumé or self promo site, the pdf download is a good idea. Maybe if it were an option rather than forced. That is, perhaps show you work and resumé within the site using xml or whatever, but offer the pdfs for dowload at a decent print resolution. That way your future bosses or clients can keep you on file if they wish.

Also, I might opt for abbreviating "downloads" (dlds?) or using a smaller word (CVS? resumé?) and changing "about me" to simply "about" to keep the text size consistant all around. Or, when I run into situations like this, I always pick the longest word in a set, size it for balance and readability and then base the size of the other headers on it. Balance and consistancy is everything.

Real nice, simple and attractive site concept though. good work. - Q

Quick arb question:
    How kosher is it for you to "allow" people to download your portfolio images?
    Its like a big neon sign saying “HELP YOURSELF!!!!” I mean... wouldn’t you worry about somebody trying to nick your work? Then again, that is the danger or the internet.
    Also I guess having images that one cant save as or download still leaves room for the print screen button…

for the purpose of promoting yourself i wouldn't worry about it. first any self respecting GA isn't going to rip straight from someones resumé. the odds of anyone making real money off your illegally procured work are slim. besides having your stuff out in the world will potentially draw people to you. the more people see your name tied to quality work the better the potential for getting bigger clients. the same reasons many musicians are willing to allow music downloads for free online. get people interested.

example... i worked for a small clipart website a few years ago where my boss told me he'd "give the product away for a name and an email address." that company was ArtToday, which is now half of Jupiterimages (photos.com, clipart.com, flashfoundry etc.) one of the top three largest stock image companies in the world.

also you could always watermark, and at the very least i doesn't hurt to throw a copyright at the bottom the page. - Q

Thanks for all the feedback guys I've not had any time recently to do any work on it for a while

Thanks again

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster