A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on HDR Photography?

Your thoughts on HDR Photography?

Bored outta my mind googling away and was reading some interesting stuff on HDR Photography. Anyone do this or try it? I might have to give some scenes I wanna capture a go with this process.

Even found a flickr group that share their HDR work. http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/pool/

This is what first caught my eye: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...984@N00&size=l
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

It's something i've been meaning to do more often, the results can have a really surreal feel that is intriguing.

Here are the only two images i've tried it on...

http://www.robbmc.com/photoblog/index.php?showimage=106
    http://www.robbmc.com/photoblog/index.php?showimage=50

Some software that will do it for you (apparently, not tried it myself)

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

[edit] That example you posted is really impressive, although HDR can be used for interesting effects, I prefer the images that use it subtely.

Chomasia has some really impressive HDR images in their photoblog

http://www.chromasia.com/iblog/archives/cat_hdr.php
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 04-11-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Interesting article. CS2 has built in HDR controls.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/hdr.shtml
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I use HDR images for rendering. Image based lighting and reflections benifit greatly from HDR. Hell, I just wrote a paper on it a few months ago.

My camera only allows me to control the exposure time for greater than 1 second, so I can't make my own.

In fact, I thought about bringing this up in here before, but never got around to it.

Right now, I've only been using Paul Debevec's light probes for HDR environments, but I would like to get my hands on some more. He also provides HDR Shop 1 for free. It can create and manipulate HDR images.

What I would need is a complete environment stitched together into a single HDR image (panorama, cross, light probe, doesn't matter). Anyone interested trying to make something?

I am going out tomorrow. I got the schools rebel again.

Inspired by this thread I took this shot today at the Blue Mountains (named for the blue haze over the mountains) in Sydney.

Both generated from the same 5 files (desaturated for BW) taken at the correct shutter speed and 2 either side.

Design & Photography

How did you combined them? I have taken shots that range from only 3 all the way up to over 10. Use CS2 merge HDR function, it is pure crap.

whats the benifits of hdr and normal film

Agreed WannaBe, the CS2 one is terrible, I use PhotoMatix. Below is another picture from the day, looks a bit more natural.

Design & Photography

I believe Photomatix is pretty much the popular choice at the moment. Also has lots of information about what exactly High Dynamic Range is.

Anyone play with the photomatrix tone mapping plug in? VERY nice.

what is HDR?
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Quote Originally Posted by PCRIDE
    what is HDR?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

so do you need anything special other than using multiple exposures combined? I did see there is a HDR viewer screen.
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Flashkits Non-Flasher
    Just tried out Photomatix and its great!

here is one from me, my first HDR. Don't mind the dust on my sensor, its since been cleaned

Keep in mind this if my first crack at this. It was only a single RAW exposure that I adjusted in RawShooter Premium, but I think its kinda cool. Needs some PS work but this is straight outta Photomatix and resized after using the tone map plugin

That came out wicked good. See how the railing and water came out? That is what I can't get my images to get like...and that is what appeals to me most in all the ones I have seen...sigh.

ps: you just took one correctly exposed RAW file and made 3 files?

so u take a over exposed picture and a under exposed picture and combine them?

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phil-ray
    so u take a over exposed picture and a under exposed picture and combine them?

roughly, yeah, but sometimes you need more than two pictures, depending on the extremity in your view's lightings

Adobe Photoshop CS2 has this tool already, I still have to play with it, perhaps this weekend

just don't over use their tool or the final image will looke too fake and flat, as if produced by terragen or something

Flashkits Non-Flasher
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    That came out wicked good. See how the railing and water came out? That is what I can't get my images to get like...and that is what appeals to me most in all the ones I have seen...sigh.

ps: you just took one correctly exposed RAW file and made 3 files?

Yeah, thats the nice thing about photomatix vs. the photoshop automation. With photoshops HDR you HAVE to use three different images, you can't adjust the exposure from a single RAW image like I did in the pic above using Photomatix. Also the Photoshop automation, from what i've read, is notoriously flat and has no contrast. I haven't tried it yet, think I'm gonna stick with photomatix.

Quote Originally Posted by Juztin180
    Yeah, thats the nice thing about photomatix vs. the photoshop automation. With photoshops HDR you HAVE to use three different images, you can't adjust the exposure from a single RAW image like I did in the pic above using Photomatix. Also the Photoshop automation, from what i've read, is notoriously flat and has no contrast. I haven't tried it yet, think I'm gonna stick with photomatix.
    irregardless of what app you use, isn't it the point to have your slick 8mp SLR take really good photos at different exposures to get a really great image. Just manipulating one image I would think should kill the quality

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad