A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: motion problem

motion problem

Is there anyone that can possible tell me why the movement in the attached file is so choppy. I have tried everything and searched everywhere for a possible solution and cannot for the life of me find one.

Pleeeeeeeease help

FYI: i want it to be very slow movement and very small distances. IS this even possible
    Last edited by rstar; 08-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Have you tried changing the frame rate?

Christopher Mitchell
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

Many time's.. I have done very different combinations of frame rates and frame amounts. I only want the clouds to move a few pixels in each movement.

Are the clouds in a movie or have you drawn them (I was unable to open your file to look).

Christopher Mitchell
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

They are in a movie....I changed that a while back but it didn't do much. Sorry about the file format i'm using a PC.

Here is an i.e.

http://chewycreation.com/clouds.html
    Last edited by rstar; 04-12-2006 at 09:45 PM.

perplexed by actionscript alien_landscape's Avatar
    I also tried to look at your file but couldn't.

I'm guessing you saved it as Flash 8, any chance you could resave in MX2004 format?

NP, it was in 8.
    Last edited by rstar; 08-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.

OK, This is down to a bug in Flash,

Basicly Flash has a real problem tweening bitmap images at slow speeds, it will always result in a nasty vibrating effect.

I have vector traced all of your images (in other words I have converted them from pixel based images to vectors) and your clouds now move smoothly.

Just a note: you'd be better off redrawing your clouds directly into flash as the traced ones are very memory intensive and a little rough around the edges.

Let me know if you have any questions
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 04-12-2006 at 10:17 PM.

WOW, I can not believe that that was the problem, damn flash. Quick question, everything that I have created is done in Illustrator and I usually bring them into Photoshop and convert them into PNG’s. Is there a way to move them from illustrator to flash conserving the vector aspect?

Either way you are a life saver. Thank you soo much.

sure, don't know about earlier versions of Illustrator but if you're using CS or above just go FILE > EXPORT and then choose macromedia flash as your format. saving as eps will probably work too.

Remember that Flash is a vector based platform, It can do wonderful things with bitmaps, but it is always happiest with vectors.
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 04-12-2006 at 10:42 PM.

AI to Flash?

duh, have u heard of copy/paste?? Matter of fact, that's THE WAY you're supposed to do it. Not convert a perfectly fine vector into an unusable bitmap, only to bring it back to the vector program. I usually get any vectors done in a Photoshop file, paste them into Illustrator, then paste them into Flash. In my experience, you cannot copy/paste paths directly from Pho; you'd have to export, then go thru the Flash/Import deal. MUCH easier to copy/paste twice. BTW, be sure to color the path in AI or into Flash, you'll paste NOTHING!