A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SWFs in SWF, with Preloaders and Rollovers HELP!!

SWFs in SWF, with Preloaders and Rollovers HELP!!

OKay, I have been using flash for quite a while, but have become rusty through lack of recent use. I've been trying to solve this problem for days to no avail.

OKay so here's the jist of it. (if you become bored, the problem is outlined in a nutshell at the bottom)

I want to create a Flash graphic design portfolio. WITHOUT FLASH COMPONENTS!!

The flash site will be broken up so the user doesn't have to load everything at once.

This means that the portfolio layout will act as the 'vessel' , and the images (which are actually small SWF's with fade ins etc.) will need to be loaded when needed.

(i've been looking at 'loadmovie' script tutorials, and they seem to work in some instances, but not others. The thing is...

I want these external SWF's to also each have a preloader . So they load with just a loadbar.

This is where the problem is... I've tried about 5 different preloader tutorials on these external SWF's, but each time, when they're called on it either just skips the loading sequence, or hangs on it, or pushes the entire 'vessel' swf back to frame 1 (which i think is linked to the "gotoandplay (1)" code in some of the preloaders.

I also wished to make the buttons that call the external SWFs have a rollover animation sourced from the 'smooth rollover' tutorial on this site utilizing the following code:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    if (this.hitTest(_root._xmouse, _root._ymouse, true)) {
    this.nextFrame();
    } else {
    this.prevFrame();
    }
    }

So in a nutshell?
    I want my base SWF to preload, then call for external SWF's which also have a loading sequence, when a rollover button is pressed.

If you can point me in the direction of any decent tutorials, or help me out here, or even post a fla with what i'm trying to do I would be forever grateful... I've really had a tough time with this... and the only tutorials I can find on 'loadmovie' type things dont solve the loading function without using crappy looking 'flash components'. Thank you all very much!

I've got some basic tutorials in the Tutes link in my footer. LoadMovie is explained, and there's atutorial for a preloader and the fla for it. You can use the preloader in a main or external swf and it works in both.

thank you very much, i'm trying these out now. It's so good to have someone write a bunch of these that are sure to work together! Thank you again, you are a lifesaver, and your site is excellent.

I don't think you really want to put a loadMovie code on a rollover button. Every time someone rolled over it, the movie would start to reload. It's always better to use on(release).