A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: more mods?

more mods?

This is NOT to point out that mods are doing BAD...but to say that I feel we need MORE moderators.. NOT in the CL thats for sure..but more so in the HELP forums & General Help sections..

Some of these mods have been here before me,..and Im sure their lives have taken different direction..and either DONT or CANT frequent as much any more.

That being said... I see tons of regular members who help out ALOT, and quite frankly DO spend the time here. If you cant commit..pass it up. I rarley see MODS post help...but usually memebers.. I do however see mods edit spelling or typos, or hang all day in the CL...and moderate..yet do NOT post a response to question a member posted. I think the addition of new blood would help bring life back in to the board (not get rid of the old blood though...cant make that clear enough)

Just my suggestion to make it better around here..

Thanks for the feedback whispers. We’re always looking for folks to bring on as moderators but the main point of a moderator is not to answer the questions but to moderate the posts and answers by the community.

To quote the Flash Kit Moderator Handbook “the main purpose of moderating is to ‘moderate’ by being sensible, reasonable, modest, restrained, judicious, fair, temperate, logical, rational, realistic, sound, level-headed, even-handed, equitable and of course brief. It is also an opportunity to share your knowledge and have some fun on the boards.”

All moderators are expected to notify the rest of the team if they are going to be gone for any extended period of time. The super mods and I also moderate the mods by checking their posts and their recent activity.

Typically a moderator is brought onboard from another moderator, however if the community has a shining example or would like to recommend someone to become a moderator then you can always contact me, JPNYC or any moderator and we’ll discuss the request in detail before making any decisions.

Hi Planet-

I understand the "mod" job is WAY more than just helping answer questions.. (and it shoudl be)

HOWEVER..I feel there HAS been a decline in getting help for many in the help forums/gernal help forums..

playing devils advicate here...if people no longer see this community as a place to get help....there really wont be that many posts TO moderate.. (get my drift)

Im not complaining..or tryign to "stir the pot" by ANY means...just something I wanted to throw out there.. as I have seen comments more and more about getting help..and their frustration.

Not mention I have seen MANY regular members who consistantly help out..and consistantly answer posts.

To me that shows several things:
    1.) knowledge of FLASH/AS
    2.) commitment (they are here consistantly)
    3.) the will to teach others

there was a time when I saw MODS answering and helping out memebers..now I just see a random link or two...but mostly comments about footers or moving posts (or what not) with the question(s) totally ignored. (to re-iterate NOT thumbing my nose at the mods)....maybe they dont have the time to spend on the board like they used to? maybe they kids now...(who knows).. I dont think we need any more mods in the CL ...

also this is NOT about me or any questions I have had or posts..etc..etc just a general overview of how I seen the board as of late.

I mean to be honest..I think there are two good handfulls of members that would do the FK community a whole lot of good...and be a GREAT addition to the team. Knowledgable and just all around good people (on here)..where they follow up on threads and posts...and are TRULY part of the resources they MAKE FK what it is.

Not taking away from who we have..just saying we need more to help "patrol" the help forums.

maybe a junior mod status for "HELPERS" or something!

anyways...just my two cents!

I would say that not only isn't answering questions a primary job of moderators, it's not part of the job description at all. No one on the forums is under any obligation to answer questions. All who answer, mods and members alike, do so of their own volition. None are "expected" to answer. That's the nature of a community. All who help out do so simply because they want to.

That being said, if the question involves the forum itself or issues with members of the forum or crew, then I am obligated to answer

was none of the above...just providing "feedback" from some of the things I have read as of late...and regulars I have seen "helping out"...

its all good....help is not the focus here....I understand.

I hear ya loud and clear whispers Kidding... but yeah, dont mind JP... he's from New York

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    I mean to be honest..I think there are two good handfulls of members that would do the FK community a whole lot of good...and be a GREAT addition to the team. Knowledgable and just all around good people (on here)..where they follow up on threads and posts...and are TRULY part of the resources they MAKE FK what it is.

Not taking away from who we have..just saying we need more to help "patrol" the help forums.
    Who did you have in mind, pm me if you prefer.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to provide your feedback. Much appreciated

he may be form NY...but hes got "this" under his name: "Administrator"

so what he says is LAW........(and Gerbs) LOL

seriously..it was NOT some "jab" or attempt to "tounge & cheek" anything..was truly a suggestion to promote the community.

As far as name?..I can give you a list of memebers who "I" feel are knowledgable, responsible, and committed....but they might not even want the responsibility...it would just be from what I have seen going on.

sometimes a person doesn't know they want an oppurtunity until it actually presents itself. I've got at least a HANDFUL of mods i can suggest for certain sections of FK

...but the big thing is really for the mods that aren't around or posting at all (and i think this is Whispers point :/ ) ...we should get some new blood. I think you'd be suprised at how much a mod can sway other users to help.

nothing against the "old blood" (by any means)... just need to be more active in helping the help forums was MY point...

but as I found out...FK's (and the mods responsibilities) FOCUS is NOT helping..simply to "police" (move threads, scan for "R" rated language....spam.....etc)

i still think my point is true (who cares about a handbook)
    I think you'd be suprised at how much a mod can sway other users to help.

I only meant that when it comes to answering questions, the moderator crew is just like anyone else on the forum. If they know the answer and want to answer, they can. That doesn't mean the original suggestion that we could use more mods isn't valid. We may need some more.