dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Losing my mojo

Losing my mojo

I seem to be running out of fresh ideas.
    Usually I just sit and work until the image works, but its getting frustrating, Im limited by my own limitations and everything I do seems stale.
    Anyone know of any good left/right brain exercises or anything else good for getting out of a rut?

i'm in the same rut you are right now. I don't know if it's because the whether is getting better or if it's my creativity, but It's killing me nonetheless.

I've been banging my head against the wall for a few weeks trying to find a style that hasn't been so overdone but at the same time appealing.

Bleh!
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 04-17-2006 at 02:57 PM. Reason: splleellingv

We should combine forces. We could become millionairs in the industial demolition industry.

i would actually like to know of any type of exercises maybe some of you have done in design classes ....i really need to start stepping up my game but am feeling up against the wall with ideas/techniques. ...anybody out there?

I have been part of this subject on another forum

Just get away from it, walk, sit in the sun, read, watch tv, sleep

if you worry about it, it just makes the block worse.

I have ideas when driving, talking in the pub (hic) always make a note of them on paper, I have forgotten some good ones, you get in and OOPS its gone.

Also release your anger if you have any, scribble like a mad thing (wacom tablet) or get some paper, the best thing that works for me is to relax and love what you do. If i get stuck I'll sit on the doorstep in the sun with my cats and a coffee. Or go shopping look at the world around you, if I were to design a cereal box, I would look to see what all the others had done. colours fonts...

Also try doing new things in photoshop, I have several sites that have been built from mad scribbles blurred then worked up as the block has passed, always save anything close to being good eg

siteXX_ver1.psd
    siteXX_ver2.psd
    siteXX_ver3.psd

just do it, have fun, look around for idea, magazines, the web, libraries, TV and Films.

the worst thing you can do is to be hard on yourself, the minute you do that you are doomed, walk the dog, wash up, clean the car anything apart from getting screwed up with design problem X.

When I worked for design agencies I would pick up a stock photo book and dream off as i looked at the pictures. Pixar has a games room for the workers, if they get stressed, play a bit then come back.

Hope it passes soon

bp

well for me, it's not necisarilly a block....it's more of wanting to expand and do new things

I don't know if there's any tips you can suggest for that...tutorials only get you sooo far.

I think I have done mb one tutorial in my life, my way is to find a problem and find a way to do it. I learned more doing that and you remember it because it was a nightmare to get there.

I hate coding (web stuff) but all I have learned that I have taught myself I will remember forever as it was so hard to get there.

As for design, get into some photoshop battles or get a yellow pages open it (eyes closed) stick a pin in the page, and design a business card, comp slip and flyer. Odds are you get a crappy one, but do it. The harder it is the more you have to work at it. why do macdonalds and Burger king use the same colours? why is nike logo so instantly recognisable?

I could go on, but its late

also look at other sites that you think are poor, and rework them as a visual, keep all their rules (same wording, same colour theme, browser size)

bp

i get many ideas usually from just lying on the bed after i wake up,

i look at design mags. print, how, commarts, dynamic graphics etc. see what is happening out there. new uses of type, color, different mediums etc. when i was younger i used to rip ideas off from mags like these, or try to emulate the styles. this is at least good practice for your eye. don't be afraid to attempt to recreate designs that you really like. i am not suggesting that you try to sell them, but simply use it as an exercise. for me just looking at great design work often helps me regain my sense of balance and opens the door for something original. - Q

Thanks guys, some awesome feedback from Q and Pheonix.
    I think I might have a solution too.... Going to go out and get blotted
    I'll let you know how that goes when Im sitting bubbling over at my desk tomorrow morning.

Right: Worst. Idea. Ever.
    Being hungover at work does little to improve anything.
    i dont think i'll be doing that again any time soon.
    Oh, and now not only am I uninspired, I hate people too.
    Last edited by Natsia; 04-19-2006 at 02:00 PM.

When I'm in a rut, I usually go out and do either of two things:

1) I visit a museum, preferably a museum of contemporary arts. This method is highly uncreative, but it works pretty good. Just getting different ideas on how colours combine and work with eachother, new influences on shape, size and composition, and being in a very 'artsy-fartsy' surrounding usually gets my creative juices flowing.

2) Go out and experiment with different media. One of the best ways I have to resolve a creative rut is to go out and buy a couple of huge sheets of paper, some paint, graffiti, stickers, stencils or whatever (I once found three pairs of old, busted shoes, I washed and painted them with canvas paint, and sold them for 100 a pair). The change in creative approach usually sparks my interests in the digital arena, the way I percieve and approach the screen as a canvas is vehemently altered, if only for a little while.
    hello.

I'm always blown away by some of the kick arse designs in nature.
    Go outside and look at bark, flowers trees etc. and study them real close. Look at the patterns the textures. Look at the way the light reflects off water, how the sun throws shadows accross clouds, etc.
    You might find a bug that has markings and colors that would suit that new site, down to the ground....or you might just go for a nice calming walk outside to clear the block.

Free association/brain storming usually works for me.

I do this trick playing guitar all the time.
    I've got a title generator which basically all it does is generate names for song titles.

Click a new title name comes up.

August Winter for example.
    It could be an aussie winter. It could be the name of a person. it could be a reference to dualities inner conflicts political biases etc basically it's what ever you want it to be.

When I think of august I think of a wanning summer. early august are the dog days when your hot tired and done everything. Yet the end of august is usually filled with festivals. State fairs, cultural events family gatherings last rites of summer etc.

Even though now is not the time I might pick up on a local event I always attend. Arts Beats and Eats.

My point being first free associate then you'll have more subject matter to choose from. Once you isolate the subject matter it becomes easier to draw from.

Nothing is a blank canvas. Even if your not satisfied with the results it gets you out of park and in gear. You can't get anywhere in park.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    Free association/brain storming usually works for me.
    Same here,
    I take a half hour everyday for what i call "free flow" grab a pencil and paper, sit and clear your mind, let your hand do the drawing/writing, try not to think at all just let your hand do what feels natural.

This really helps open the suppressed creativity of the subconscious mind.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

well, what i do (if i don't have a brain block, and just feel like i know it all) try something exetremely difficult to do in the program, that you know you shouldn't be able to acomplish, then try for it...it'll keep you entertained, and as long as you have enough patients it won't make you go insane