A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: stopping a sound early causes clipping noise

stopping a sound early causes clipping noise

I need to sequence a few sounds, one after another. Each sound's audio file lasts about 2 seconds (the files are imported into the movie and linked). I need to allow for a dynamic tempo setting, such that each sound could be cut short per the tempo setting. I've got all of this working, however I have an annoying clipping/popping sound that occurs when I stop a sound before it's naturally finished. I've tried doing stuff like setting a fast volume decreasing loop before issuing the sound.stop() command, but each volume change even has a slight pop sound.

Is there some trick to stopping a sound prematurely and silently (without the pop/clip sound)?

The relevant code is like:

//start the sound
    sound1.attachSound("pianoC1"); //this sound file lasts ~2 seconds
    sound1.start();

(timer waits 1 second)

//stop the sound after only one second
    sound1.stop("pianoC1");

//yuck, there was a popping/clipping sound...

//start the next sound
    sound1.attachSound("pianoD1"); //this sound file lasts ~2 seconds
    sound1.start();

Thanks for the help!

you're going to have to put a very brief fade (milliseconds long if you want a harsh cut, or like a second if you want a longer one) where you want the clip to end.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Thanks for the reply. I assume you're suggesting that I fade out the volume with a loop, right? I've tried that already and there's still the clipping sound for fast fades. Even with long fades you can hear pops/clipping-sounds each time the volume changes.

This morning while researching various methods for volume fades, I came across the following:

http://www.sonify.org/home/feature/r...ion/page3.html

You can hear the volume changing pops in ex. 1. I downloaded the sample and changed the fade speed so it's really quick and the pop is just as bad as if I stop the sound abruptly.

So, please let me know if you meant something other than setVolume() loop, because from what I can tell, it won't really help with quick fades/stops.

Thanks.

I tested the sound fade script examples on my computer and do not hear any pops during fade. Perhaps this is an issue with your sound system or sound card.

Yep, it looks like it might be a per-machine type of thing. I've tested 3 computers myself all of which have pops. Two have good audio cards, one has a low/mid-grade card. A few other people like yourself have reported no pops at all on their machines.

Oh well, looks like I will need to live with the pops...

I see that this is an old thread, but I currently have the EXACT same problem on my machine. I have found no solution.. And I really hate the click/pops