A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Chatroom/Realtime...?

Chatroom/Realtime...?

Hey all,
    I'm not really sure where this post belongs so I'm just gonna stick it here. But I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of creating an app that would allow users to communicate real-time? Ideally, I want to make a real-time drawing app, so one individual can draw something in a flash movie and another can see it in their browser real-time.

Any pointers or hints in a general direction would be awesome! thanks!
    Woody

Not sure about the "whitebord sharing" part...

but as for the chat part...depends on how you want to appraoch it...

older style chats used a simple "polling" technique to grab it data every few seconds or so...

new styles probably use something like a socket connection (maybe even an XML socket) to push data real time through a consistantly open connection...

polling can be as simple as dumping your "text" to a text file (throuh PHP) and reading in with FLASH...

i found this website clubpenguin.com. this is exactly what I want to do! I just have no clue where to start. anyone know anything about this stuff?
    Woody

have you had a search through the movies on this site... http://www.flashkit.com/movies/ ...there's usually a couple of good examples of server side actions

hmmm, I'm wondering if I can't just setup some kind of simple test movie where two users can both view a movie and drag a box around in realtime.

I couldn't find anything in the movies section in scripting/server interaction. Or at least, I have no idea how to use any of the clips. haha.
    Woody

you have your STARTING point posted above...search on the way you want to attempt to do it..also search on whiteboard there has been planty of posts on that as well.

this will NOT be able to be done with out something like FLASH Remoting or Local Connection even..and some sort fo PHP or ASP intervention..

Club Penguin is crap everything it has is members!

OK... so you need a whiteboard like the MSN sorta style... try searching Google,

What? I don't know about it! I don't even get what Whispers is saying!

*strolls off angrily*

*comes back*

By the way its impossible to establish a link between 2 computers if they don't recongnise each other, its like a snake, or just a string-phone, you have to make the link first, coz if you don't you never know who ur talking to. or instead like club penguin, link up everyone on the line!

I advice you to look at the most basic link-up applications and i seen NONE made by flash except for Dofus and Club Penguin.

Last edited by tongxn; 04-22-2006 at 12:36 PM.
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

Luckly for you i done some reserch and here are some fo the best:
    http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=5&rl=1
    http://www.sephiroth.it/tutorials/flashPHP/flash_chat/
    http://f-design.proxy.ro/

Have Fun and GOOD LUCK!

*strolls off angrily*
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave