dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Windows update

Windows update

Hi all,

Since the new windows update, IE users get the message "click here if you want to use this flash application" which requires visitors to click before they can use your website.
    Does anyone know if there will be a new version of 3DFA soon to prevent this...?

Greetings

omg I know! I cant figure out how to turn it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BC

Yeah i got it as well , it seems like there's no way to turn it off

if it was macromedia's work it could have been configured in their settings section , this is SO ANNOYING DAMN ITTTTT
    ok....what ?

http://www.amarasoftware.com/flash-problem.htm

this is to fix it for people visting your site, but for it to stop on yuor comp I suggest Firefox
    BC

Hi all:

I've been away for a good while after switching programs for my Flash work, to Swish Max. Yes, sorry enough, I too have grown tired of waiting for a version update and I could finally wait no longer for news of a major 3DFA update.

Now as to the question at hand: What you are describing is a change in Windows functionality relating to Internet Explorer's ActiveX plugin architecture - and the reason for the change was a legal dispute between Microsoft and a smaller company called Eolas which won an injunction against Microsoft which in turn led to this change. So no, you cannot turn it off - it is a legal necessity to avoid continued infringement on the smaller player's patented property, since even though in this case prior art claims would appear to invalidate the smaller company's patent (which it almost did) the claims encompassing this issue were found to be of a different nature, so to speak, so the prior art argument did not apply. And this does not apply just to Flash but to any plugin for IE that uses ActiveX.

On the other hand, you may be able to work around the change so long as you move your object declaration for your flash movie to a script file outside of your HTML document, if you know what I'm referring to. I'll have to get back with you guys on that, but be aware that I'm a Swish guy now and I'm probably not going to be quick with anything in this particular forum, and this could end up becoming my parting gift - but nonetheless I plan on getting it to you.
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)