dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PhotoShop Mass Q/A: help

PhotoShop Mass Q/A: help

k, i don't know how well this will work, but i need answers, and instead of asking seperate answers in different threads, i'll just ask them all on this one when they pop into my head

One thing to remember though is: I only got photoshop like a week ago, and pretend that i know nothing about it (cause, basically, i don't)...

Just answer any question you know, and if its from a farther back question, just quote it, or mention the question, so i know which one it is that your answering.

Again, i'm not sure how this will work, but i thought it would be worth a shot.

First Question: i was working on photoshop, and i noticed the layer mask, i've used layers before in other programs (mostly flash), and i can't quite see how they work in this one:

How do you put something inside the layer box? (it just seems to be a white box, amd if i do add something to it, it doesn't seem to act like a mask at all)
    How do you get an image -already added to the picture- (like if i wanted the item to be in the shape of the apple i have on there) to be the layer mask?
    Is there a way to slowly make the item fade, (from left to right, or if i wanted only a corner of the layer to be covered by the layer, and it fades into the underneath layer)?

K these are my mask question for now...thanks for all the future help.

Ask and they will answer.

i just started doing mask yesterday and i think i had some idea about masking, i think.

this is what i did, i place a cracked pattern to this machine thingy with a layer mask

for your example, to change the apple's skin

1) get a layer of apple
    2) get another layer of any pattern you want on top of the apple layer (make sure you place the pattern to cover the apple below.
    2) select the apple's shape using magic wand, lasso...etc.
    3) get up to the pattern layer (with the apple's shape still on) and press the 'add vector mask' locates at the bottom of the layer pallete.
    4) the apple's skin should now turn to the pattern above

I cant remember how to make apple fades at the moment, but i sometimes just use the megahuge eraser brush to 'dissolve' my image from the outside's edge in, so it looks like it's fading away. I just cant remember the other way to do it...

k thanks, i'll check up on the mask, does anyone know about the fade though?

well the fade can be done by applying the layer mask first then doing another layer mask on the same layer...at which point you'll do a linear gradient from whatever point you want to fade it at...there's another method you cna use, but it's too late for me to explain it...if someone else wants to step in please do so.

k i think i got what i needed out of that question, unless someone has something more to add, k second question:

is there a differen't way to add shadows to images, besides using a drop shadow? cause i'm creating an image where i need a house to cast shadow , and i need it to go against the ground. I don't really want a shadow on the skyline...so is there a way to create one, so it rolls with the ground (so to speak)?

the hard way:

>> Copy your image to another layer below
    >> Make it black
    >> distort it so it lines up to the ground
    >> use feather or blur tool to blur edges
    >> lower the opacity

the easy way:

never knew.

well yes thats what i was thinking too, is there any other way though?

k heres a simple question while i wait for a return (this one seems really lasy of me, but hey its easy to tpye it then try it) can photoshop work with bitmap just as easily as jpeg files?

this one seems really lasy of me, but hey its easy to tpye it then try it
    it should be the other way around. and b careful make these kind of comments, ppl here will have a go at you.

anyway, yes, PS can work with .bmp same as .jpeg. Although i dont know anyone who likes to work with .bmp.