A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Game

New Game

Had some time to make a new game:
    Sumo Sushi Soccer

Play as a sumo soccer player against a sumo opponent (the computer).
    Kick the sushi roll as often as possible into the opponents goal. The faster you shoot a goal, the more points you get.

Some find gameplay it too hard, some too easy. Judge yourself.

Cheers
    juggernart.com

It's a cool idea, but very difficult. I think this might be due to the collision detection being a bit vague, and the fact that the ball is obscured by the players.

I'm finding it virtually impossible to get the ball past the opponent... With some tweaks, this could be a great game

I guess one thing that bugs me about it is that I can't kick or hit the ball with the press of the key... I have to run into it or jump into it. Another reason this is bothersome is because if the ball is really close to my goal.. there's no way I can get it back... I have to let him hit it in before I can get another shot.

Anyways, I love the graphics and it's a good idea.

Nice to see you still around Me222!

nice grapics and music, reminds me of slime soccer, but definately looks a lot nicer

The gameplay could use some improvement though, and maybe bringing the ball to the front

Very unique idea. I have to agree with everyone, this game is way too hard. It is very fun to play and addicting because of the challenge, but now its just getting frustrating.
    Last edited by moe8585; 05-05-2006 at 01:28 AM.
    Free Online Games @ GameGecko.com

Games For Websites @ GamesForWebsites.com

Contact me if you would like GameGecko to sponsor or license your games.

Thanks to all for comments.

I've tweaked a little bit here and there...
    Ball is now in front of the players and collision detection is more accurate.

Keep in mind that using the "grab" key (up arrow or W) is essential for gameplay. Hold the key until you want to shoot the ball.

@AfternoonDelite:
    If the ball is close to your goal, just run into your goal pressing the grab key. If the ball is not yet behind the goal line, it will roll over your sumo. Then jump right (without grab key) to shoot the ball to the right.

@Ray:
    Yes, I am still here from time to time but unfortunately I have not much time left to make new games.

Cheers
    juggernart.com

I didn't understand the grab at first, but it definately makes the game much better. At first the ball kept going right over or through me, but the grab helps stop the ball. This is a great game.

Another suggestions is adding a pause.

Nice game, I've validated it in the pepere directory, it's waiting for translation.

Nevertheless I must answer to moe8585 on this point :
    Quote Originally Posted by moe8585
    Very unique idea.
    The idea is very inspired from this old java game : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bartle/soccer/

The nice looking, the sumo spirit and the grab key make it an antirely new game with a lot more interest than the slime soccer. But the idea itself is not truly unique ^_^ .

Quote Originally Posted by Sietjp
    Nice game, I've validated it in the pepere directory, it's waiting for translation.

Nevertheless I must answer to moe8585 on this point :

The idea is very inspired from this old java game : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bartle/soccer/

The nice looking, the sumo spirit and the grab key make it an antirely new game with a lot more interest than the slime soccer. But the idea itself is not truly unique ^_^ .
    He,he, your right Sietjp.
    I made the game engine for a client who said he wanted to have something like "slime soccer".
    There's also a "grab" key in slime soccer.
    However, haven't seen a game like this in Flash so far. Mine is the first.
    juggernart.com

hahaha Great game... I lost 1-9 sadly

Could the sumo guys have more angles so the balls could fire off them at more of an angle? Maybe add a kick, so you could lob the ball over the other player and he would have to defend by jumping.

Also, would it be possible to make the ball fall in random positions at the start, so you may get an advantage or not depending on where it lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    hahaha Great game... I lost 1-9 sadly

Could the sumo guys have more angles so the balls could fire off them at more of an angle? Maybe add a kick, so you could lob the ball over the other player and he would have to defend by jumping.

Also, would it be possible to make the ball fall in random positions at the start, so you may get an advantage or not depending on where it lands.
    Hm... looks like some peoples don't get how the game works, LOL
    Actually the ball can be kicked from your Sumo in every angle between 0° and 360°. Collision detection is done by math, the Sumos are represented by circles.
    Three ways to kick the ball:
    - keep the "grab" key pressed while running towards the ball. The ball will roll over your Sumo. Then release the grab key and jump to kick the ball into the desired direction. Be fast, because if the computer Sumo is in reach of the ball he will grab it away!
    - if the ball is in the air jump towards the ball (without grab key!). If you'd press the grab key, it' wouldn't be kicked away. It then behaves like stopping the ball in the air.
    - run towards the ball without grab key and the ball is kicked into the direction you are running to. This only works if the computer sumo is behind you or away from you. If he's in reach of the ball he will grab it.

There will definately be no "kick" button. The idea of the game is to shoot by jumping.

cheers
    juggernart.com

I think it's brilliant I know you don't want to change it too much anymore, but a 2P mode would be so much more fun.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Beside its good graphics and music this game is very fun to play!
    I win every time, I'm the champion of Sumo Sushi Soccer

If you gonna improve it, add some 2p mode like Kianis suggested and also a teaser would be nice, that way ppl could easily see what can be done with the ball.

At first I dindn't get it very well but once I did it got quite fun. Very well done
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

Hey,
    I've made a free demo version of the game for offline play or to put on your own website.
    Please read the readme.txt for further instruction and info.

Download here.

P.S.:
    A multiplayer version may come somewhere in the future.

Cheers
    juggernart.com