dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: position MovieClip based on text index

Cheese Lover

position MovieClip based on text index

I have a textbox with ... text in it, and I want to find the x position of a certain block of text. I can find the index easily, but how do I find that block's x position so that I can position a movieclip over it?

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Not sure I understand?
    If you click on the textbox, open the properties panel, then you can see the X & Y coords.

Cheese Lover
    No, not that.

If the textbox contains the text "blah blah bleh blah" and I want to cover the part that says "bleh" with a movieclip, how do I determine the position of the "bleh" so that I can move the movieclip accordingly?

Ah, I understand now!
    Well, that could be a bit of a challenge. I would suggest, turning on the 'rulers' (under View>Rulers), then determine the coords of the text. You will have to mess around with the x/y settings to get the effect you want.

Are you loading this text from an external file? Or is it just typed into the box on the stage?

Cheese Lover
    It must be actionscripted, because the text is loaded dynamically based on the user's input.

So the text is displayed based from an external text file...right? If that's the case, well good luck, I can't think of anyway to figure out where that text will be displayed. Neither can 'flash'.
    You should re-think your approach on this, mabey there is a better way to do what you want....which btw: I really don't understand. Can you tell me more about what you're trying to do here?

Cheese Lover
    Parse emoticons. Img tags wont work because they insert a line break and the textbox is one line.