dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Published files not working....

Published files not working....

I'm trying to create a flash file with a simple menu and some url links. I've made a few links and when I test it in Flash, by pressing Ctrl+Enter, it works fine. However, as soon as I publish the file the links stop working! Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this as it's driving me crazy!

could it be that you dont have the complete links. i know for a while i couldnt get my links to work because i didnt have the full url.

Just checked it and i've got the complete urls. For example, one link goes to a GCSE revision page...

on(release){
    getURL("http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/", "_blank");
    }

umm the script that you have there works fine for me when put into a sample page and uploaded. so im not sure what to tell you except that it works for me

Thanks for checking kasiv, it's just really frustrating because it works in the flash development environment, but then doesn't when it's published.... i've tried it on various machines with the same results...

the url for the test page i made using your script is http://www.rwar.us/Untitled-1.html you can check and see if that did what you wanted

Yup, that's exactly what it's supposed to do. I've just tried the same test and ended up with the same problem... I'm starting to suspect it may be something to do with my publish settings....

um ok cant help you there sorry but good luck

Just cracked it! You did help out, you helped me narrow down the possible causes for the problem. It was a security option in the publish settings.... thanks for the help kasiv!

Senile member! :)
    Have you tested the movie uploaded to a server?

Flash 8 has this new "Local playback security" thing. That allows the movie to only access the local files or things over network. The default is "local files only". And that will also break any getURL's like your's.

You can find the setting at the bottom in the Flash tab in the publish settings.

/Mirandir

Thanks Mirandir, that's exactly what the problem was!

I feel like such a doughnut!