A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: moving clips on Bezier curves

moving clips on Bezier curves

hi,

I've seen examples of drawing Bezier curves, but how would you get a movieclip to move on one??

thanks for any help
    boombanguk

If you don't want it to be dynamic, you can just create the tool in authoring time and have a follow motion path tween.

If you want it dynamic, the way I did it(because I my limited knowledge of calculus), Is you have your initial and final point of a curve. Then you have a point somewhere else, which you will reach half to distance off(which causes the curve). To plot the course, average the slope from the first point to the curve point with the slope from the curve point to the final point. (By average, I mean as the ball progresses use more and more of the final slope, and less of the first slope).

This ends accurately, and produces a curve, though is not perfect(You would have to know the length of the curve for it to be better for finding the percent, I currently use the percentage of how far it has gone along the first point to last point line, by using a perpendicular line to that line, to find the intersection).

This may not make much sense, but if you want more explaining, just ask.

Hope that helps!

thanks for that, but i what im trying to acheive is take some of the bezier curve drawing code I have, and then use that to plot the path of my clip, so I think i'll need to be able to calc the path using the actual quadratic equation......my calc is non existant as well! , but im hoping someone can point me in the direction to figure that out

I know André-Michelle got tons of stuff about bezier curves in his lab but I can't seem to find where to get the actual code anymore, it _used_ to be available. :/
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

yep, http://lab.andre-michelle.com/ choose "ball_bezier", that's exactly what you need.

hi,
    thats exactly what I need, but there was no source code