dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Parsing SWF header

Parsing SWF header

Hello. I am trying to read and parse the header info of my SWF (the first 21 bytes or so). The SWF is just a 550x400 movie with a circle on the screen for testing purposes. I can get the first 3 bytes ("FWS"), the Flash version (8), the total file length (137), but when it comes to getting the RECT for the movie size, I can't get it to work as specified.

If I read a byte and use the first 5 bits (RECT nBits), it equals the value 24. I can't figure out where it gets 24 from!!! Then I don't know what to do to get the values for the movie size. Shouldn't the values equal 0, 11000, 0, 8000 because that would be the minimumX * 20, maximumX * 20, minimumY * 20, maximumY * 20 (the width and heighth of the movie in TWIPS)?!

Then there are 8 bytes, then the next two define the FPS (16), and the last two tell me how many frames there are in the main timeline (1). I am stumped.

Any help with this would be amazing! Also, if the SWF is compressed (begins with "CWS", is the header compressed too?). Thank you

Hi,

for compressed files, the file size is the uncompressed size (so it can be used to allocate a buffer), remaining data - including the movie size etc - will be compressed.
    Feel free to try out the swf analyzer at www.fontimages.org.uk

Musicman

Thanks for the reply, Musicman! I couldn't get the CGI to run. It wanted me to download the CGI file rather than run it on the server. However I did download the source (in C) and ran that. Great program! It deciphered my SWF fine. So something must be wrong with the way I was decoding the rect for the movie size. I'll look at your code when I have more time and figure out what I am doing wrong. Anyway, thanks a ton for the help!!!