A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: JSP and Flash

I am just starting with Flash 5 and I was wondering if there any tutorials around or an real world examples that show how JSP can interact with flash. I built a simple registration form and, can't figure out how to get the textfield variables from the flash and dump them into my jsp so, I can have the scriplet in the JSP hit the database and save the information in the database. Thanks for the help.

I don't know JSP, but i can explain the principle too you, perhaps it will help .

You can get variables to and from a flash movie using the loadVariables or loadVariablesNum functions, these functions have an argument called "Method", this can be either "post" or "get". These are different methods of sending variables. I asume you know how to parse form data, when it is send from a normal html file, this works in the same way. The format of the variables sent is:

var1=value1&var2=value2&varN=valueN

If you want to send variables back to flash, you'll have to make sure the http header you send contains at least "Content-type: text/html". The variables are formatted in the following way:

var1=value1&var2=value2&varN=valueN

If the variable allready exists in the movieclip, they are reset with the value in that string, if the variable doesn't exist, they will be created.

I hope this gets you on the right track

is this how i would use flash as the login page and then redirect you to another location? i pretty much want to have flash act as the "pretty" front end that submits to a more complex site that handles all the logic. what code can help me define the form fields and form name?

thanx,
    steve