A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: files being added to zip archive that shouldnt be

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar

files being added to zip archive that shouldnt be

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I have a strange problem.
    I am using winzip to zip up a folder with a load of images for an image gallery upload form. The problem is that there seems to be an extra file added to the archive that is not visible in the folder to be zipped.

The file is thumbs.db I am aware what the file is and what it is for but what i dont understand is why it is being added to the archive when it s not intially visible in the folder to be zipped. This is screwing with my site because flash is trying to load the thumbs.db

Any help or advice much appreciatted.
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    cant you just remove that file from the .zip? also, you can avoid zipping the thumbs.db completely by turning off caching thumbnails. that can be changed under control panel->folder options, click on the View tab, then under the heading Files and Folders, check the box "Do not cache thumbnails". im pretty sure that will eliminate the thumbs.db file from ever being created.

another option i just thought of. depending on how flash is loading the files, cant it have a check and if the filename is thumbs.db skip it?

The project is for a client and the client wont know what were talking about.
    another option i just thought of. depending on how flash is loading the files, cant it have a check and if the filename is thumbs.db skip it?
    Will look into this thanks
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    how are the files loaded? maybe i can help you out there

Grandmaster Flash
    You can go into folder options in Windows Explorer and go to tools/folder options/view/hide protected operating system files. This will allow you to see thumbs.db. You can therefore leave it out of your zip. However, this is not recommended for inexperienced users.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by geedubb
    You can go into folder options in Windows Explorer and go to tools/folder options/view/hide protected operating system files. This will allow you to see thumbs.db. You can therefore leave it out of your zip. However, this is not recommended for inexperienced users.
    I know what the file is, what it is for, how to turn and turn off this option.

The option is turned off but when i zip the folder containing the images the thumb.db appears. I have since discovered that if i only zip the files and not the folder containing the files then all is ok.
    bringmadeleinehome.com