dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Show] S.A.T polygon collisions

[Show] S.A.T polygon collisions

Hello to all

I haven't done any physics in a while, but yesterday I saw some experiments online that motivated me (namely this)

So I looked into the seperating axis method (SAT) and I thought my results, though not really ground-breaking, were pretty cool

Click here to view
    Last edited by ozmic66; 05-19-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    Aw, crap. My boxes look rediculously stupid next to your demo. Not only that, these collide properly. If you include this into your engine, I'm gonna ditch my engine and try to make my game be the first to run on yours.

I'm really excited to see what other stuff you'll pull off.

P.S. Have you incorporated this with your Blitz 3D Verlet engine?

Dude you rock in physics! I want to have your physicsengine now! I want to create an awesome 2D shooter with ragdollphysics that collide with barrels and stuff! That's not possible with flade :-(

Hey guys

my next steps for this is to add some actual physics to it so that the objects rotate and collide as expected. I pretty much planned it all out but i have no time to actually sit down and do it.

The thing is... u don't see rigid body physics in flash because its just 2 damn slow, so I'll try to get all of this working and publish it on flash player 9 (beta).. to see if it really is a lot faster.

any which way, I haven't ported this to blitz...but I do have some interesting demos with 3d models from my last experiments i should post... (..yeah, i moved past the bunnies)

and thanx for the motivation, I really just want to release a beta of this already (or just an alpha) but there's polishing up to do and some features to add but the good intention is there so Im gonna work on it whenever i have time.

the main thing i have to do now is actually decide where I want to go with it--should i do verlet? rigid? maybe hybrid? should there be velocity? friction?

if u have any suggestions/profound thoughts do share them
    Last edited by ozmic66; 05-24-2006 at 01:21 PM.

You now what you should do? Create a 2D shooter and take me as the artist/level designer.

I'm serious about this . It doesn't have to be flash! Look what these guys have done. They started the same way: http://www.facewound.com/

If you have ANY interests in this way, please contact me!

I can show you some stuff i've don but it's not the best:
    All done with flade:
    http://media.putfile.com/skistunt Skistunt sim: it sucks
    http://media.putfile.com/MusicGamed All done myself, but again, it sucks.
    http://media.putfile.com/car199 Ragdolls
    Last edited by Snipergen; 05-24-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Good idea sniper gen

I guess the ultimate goal in me duing the physics engine is to be able to make games like that side scroller but I really want to finish the engine first and let people use it. Cause its the most fun to see what other ppl made with ur creation
    but, when the engine is finished i want to make a cool game to kick it off and get ppl interested

Also, I like your demos.. if u put more time into them u could get some cool games

p.s if u didnt tell me u weren't a native speaker i wouldn't have guessed it

haha, nice. Yes you're probably right about finishing you engine. But are you actually still working on the FLASHversion or only the Blaze3D version?

Thanks, but I won't continue programming my games because it runs too slow and I dont like Flade anymore. I want to take it to a higher level!

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    Hmm... That's not a bad idea at all. I've been keeping an eye on Facewound, too, and you're right, they started exactly like this. I know my Verlet pretty well to get my way around the moderate-difficulty stuff, and both of you have seen some of it.

This might be thinking about now that school's over and I've got a lot of free time now...

... not like I didn't have any before.

Yeah me too, in four weeks, my exams are done and I got 3 months of free time to do things! We 3 should work together to create the best 2D game everrrr!