A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need a CD player

Need a CD player

I was just wondering.

The idea is a flash presentation that displays a list of tracks on the CD, and the user would click on each track to listen to them, and also a "play all" button would be nice...
    Up the Irons!!

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I am almost positive that Flash can't read Audio CD's. It may be able to with one of the 3rd party projector tools but standalone it isn't possible. If you wanted to make an mp3 player it is doable...and has been done.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

OK then...
    Which 3rd party projectors are those?
    Is there one specifically for playing Audio CDs?
    Up the Irons!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baterax
    I was just wondering.

The idea is a flash presentation that displays a list of tracks on the CD, and the user would click on each track to listen to them, and also a "play all" button would be nice...
    did you try the JCD ?

http://eb.cx/2dz
    It'a a very handy tool just for that kind of stuff.

regards

urami

mmmm

No but I'll check it out. Thanks!
    Up the Irons!!

Oops. It's for PC...
    Nothing for Mac????
    Up the Irons!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baterax
    Oops. It's for PC...
    Nothing for Mac????

Sorry, never do any content for mac

I think you may be out of luck on a Mac. With Zinc you can embed Windows Media player and a bunch of other media players but Mac doesn't support any of them. Mac's are really limited as to what they can do.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Oh c'mon they're not...

In three weeks I was able to do things in a few hours, that I couldn't do on my old PC for years...don't go there.
    Up the Irons!!

A) Anything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC...it may not be identical but it can be done
    B) People don't develop software for Mac's as much as PC. For instance, there are countless 3rd party Flash projector tools. Zinc is the only credible one for Mac OS...all of the rest are for Windows. After looking through the Zinc manual it seems very crippled on a Mac. Ultimately Mac OS doesn't give you near as much freedom as Windows and it really is crippled when it comes to Flash development. If you want a full blown app then make it yourself.
    Jason L. Wright

BLeh, run Windows on your Mac =P

No thanks, now that I can have a virus-free, no-reboot, plug and play as opposed to plug and pray system, why would I bring chaos to it???

Besides, I need the CD to play on both systems...just so you guys get it, the idea is to have an Audio CD that plays normally on home and car stereos, but once it's in a computer it would show a frontend with the tracks, lyrics, and maybe a band video...
    Up the Irons!!

And like we all said, with a Mac it isn't possible. There is a reason that Mac's have very few viruses (don't say virus free cause that is a lie), and very few hardware problems. When a computer maker limits the hardware that can work on their systems to hardware that they make and a very few select others then you aren't going to have many hardware problems. Anyone can make hardware for a PC and with that anyone can and distribute drivers...it doesn't really matter if they work or not. They also limit what you can do with the OS in order to prevent viruses. Windows gives you full control. Now, I have been running Windows for years and have an AntiVirus scan run every night when im in bed. Last night it found 42 viruses (it hadn't run since October) yet I have never actually had a problem from any viruses that are on my computer. Sure some viruses ca be harmful but most don't harm your computer right away so if you take care of your computer then it isn't a problem.
    Jason L. Wright

We're flying off-topic here...
    As a closing statement, I've been a PC user for more than 12 years, switched to the light side and never looked back.

Back to my original question...I've seen some CDs that have the exact functionalities I'm trying to achieve...maybe the software had nothing to do with flash? That would be OK, as long as I can make the graphics and animation in Flash, I can learn a few things to get this done. Anyone have an idea?
    Up the Irons!!

You might have that functionality with Director but i'm not positive. Most likely it was completely custom programmed.
    Jason L. Wright