A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: avoiding IE security blocker with active x

avoiding IE security blocker with active x

Im new to the flash and web design. I been having this nagging problem concerning the security of Active x. I notice that sites with flash content don't give me that "IE has resticted this file from showing active content". But when I test my page, it gives me that. I don't have a host site yet, will this problem go away when I upload it to a server?

Second...I use the EXPORT MOVIE instead of publish for my flash content. Being that I use dreamweaver to place the content in a table is this the best way to go?

generally i just publish my movies with html then open the html in notepad and paste the object tags into dreamweaver. Just refresh the design window and you should see the flash icon

Ctrl Z Ctrl Z F1 Ctrl Z Ctrl Z PONYACK's Avatar
    read the sticky message at from estudioworks.

the second link will take you to swf object. this is what you need to work around the active x issue.

once you download the swf object place the javascript file into the sites root folder. copy and paste the javascript from the html file that came with the download, into your html page.

thats the jist of it. post if you need more help

Ponyack

not'n' wrong with hat'n' sushi iHATEsushi's Avatar
    Sometimes Java is used within Flash and if so then check your browser settings, Java will often give the warning of Active X when it has been used somewhere in or on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by agy_1
    Im new to the flash and web design. I been having this nagging problem concerning the security of Active x. I notice that sites with flash content don't give me that "IE has resticted this file from showing active content". But when I test my page, it gives me that. I don't have a host site yet, will this problem go away when I upload it to a server?

Second...I use the EXPORT MOVIE instead of publish for my flash content. Being that I use dreamweaver to place the content in a table is this the best way to go?

Two fixes, a mxp for Flash 8 and a new upgrade for Dreamweaver 8. The DW one works real fine.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=684268

The fixes

Hey

From what I gather the fixes that Adobe released are loosly based on the SWF Object from Geoff Stearns at deconcept....which are pretty easy to implement as well...

So far, I have used 5 of the "fixes" out there. the new Dreamweaver 8 patch is the best, and least hands on yet.

The FSR fix was close to perfect, doing whole folders of pages at once. But it has a fatal flaw in that it wraps the html insert tag in a comment and you have to go back and fix each one.

I'll definity give the Dreamweaver Patch a try. What are you using for Flash Detection? I just tried the detection offered at deconcept and it worked well.

oh yeah one other thing, do you need 8.0.1 or can you just go right to 8.0.2?
    Last edited by PONYACK; 05-29-2006 at 03:22 PM.

I tested the same deconcept detect kit and it worked. But, I don't worry about people who don't have flash. They already know that and aren't going to get it just cause I remind them. So why bother cluttering up my page with dozens of lines of javascript code and slowing the loading down for everyone else? If they don't have flash, I doubt the have javascript turned on anyway.

You know I agree with what you are saying but in my short time as a web designer I have found out two things:
    1. most people think that building a website is like sending a man to the moon.
    2. most people who own a computer view them as just another appliance...which means that maintaining their system is no different then cleaning the crumb tray in their toatster...they just don't do it.

Which is why we use Flash detection. Your right about clutter but for us it easier then getting the phone call "...i can't see my website whats wrong?..."