A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Exporting takes forever

Exporting takes forever

I'm really new to flash and I've created a flash player to play audio files as well as the text to go along with them for an online training course. Anyway, everything was going well until a couple of days ago. Testing my movie by exporting and viewing was taking a verrrrry long time, as in 30 minutes or more. The exported file is just shy of 2 MB and works fine. Is there anything that will cause a long exporting process that I should be looking for? It makes it very difficult to test the app.

you must have a lot of things exporting using classes, or components, or fonts...even sounds will slow things down. you could try streaming the sounds (and removing them from the actual FLA) to reduce time. I would do some searched here on the boards for "optimizing" and see where that gets you...
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into optimizing my files now.

I thought I'd post a little bit more information on my problem though. I created my player first and it would export in about 1-2 minutes. Afterwards I knew I needed a preloader and so put this on another scene with an intro graphic. Immediately afterwards when I exported it would take 30-40 minutes. If I test only the individual scenes then the preloader scene takes 10 seconds to export and the other 1-2 minutes as before. But they just don't seem to do well together.

Edit: I've been checking every control and finally I foung a symbol that contained 3 unnecessary controls. Stripped them out and it worked perfectly. The controls were used in the symbol(which was in the intro) and also in the main scene so there must have been a conflict or something.
    Last edited by ben_stilwell; 06-02-2006 at 12:09 PM.