A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Two API Experiments

Two API Experiments

Both are completely drawn with flash API.

http://dounanthebarb.tripod.com/Work...electric2.html
    -Opposite colors attract
    -Same colors repel.
    -Use mouse to guide nodes.

http://dounanthebarb.tripod.com/Work/API/ctree.html
    (the sliders and buttons are not API)
    -To increase performance, lower branch frequency, complexity, or flower density.
    PS: Wait a little bit after generating to see the flowers fall. You can adjust the fall delay at with the last slider.

Enjoy!

Now, I want to turn the first experiement (electric) into a small game, but I'm having trouble coming with a fun gameplay concept. If you have any ideas, let me know. =)

Thanks.
    DBarbarian
    Last edited by dbarbarian; 05-31-2006 at 06:20 PM.

couldn´t check out the first one,link seems wrong.
    The second one is nice but when i set it to complex structures,it gets quite slow while processing the branches.
    Dunno how you do it but if you drew the result into a single bmpdata and always only process a low amount of branchparts at once it should run smoother.
    Nice stuff though,i like it
    (Reminds me that i have to get busy with your fireworks thingy when my current project is done,its been ages since you sent it to me and had no time for it yet,sorry =( )

Love the tree one, so beautiful. It'd come in VERY handy for randomly generated landscapes. Can I see your source? I'm making a bitmap-based game (which might turn into a Worms game), and something like that would come in very useful for making custom levels.

By the way, the top link doesn't work for me.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Bleh. Now the top one should be working.

tomsamson: I am using flash mx (not even 2004), so I don't have access to bitmap data. =(
    Glad you liked it. Don't worry about the fireworks, just glad I could help out.

vengance mx: Thanks. =) I have attached the two fla files.
    lol. What a coincidence. I am also developing a Worms game and Golf game (using the same engine) and was planning to use the tree. But no worries, feel free to use it and change it. I would appreciate a little credit for it though
    (just ignore the copyright thingies at the top, you get my permission to use it).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    I could't see the first link

I like the tree very much

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Thanks, dbarb! I'm not planning on using the tree itself (it's too pretty to throw grenades at). Rather, I wanted the fla to look at the method you used to draw it - putting a circular splodge of colour in the middle of nowhere is easy, but actually moving it around in an orderly way to paint something using script is a lot more complex. I'm going to study the code you used and see if there's a way to make it draw some platforms with grass on top of them.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Nice

Both are impressive dbarb. Nice work. Nothing immediately popped into my head as far as games but if i think of something i will be sure to post and suggest it.

scheletro: thanks

VENGEANCE MX: No prob. Let me know if you need help deciphering the code. I was too lazy to comment that one. :/

mbuck05: Thanks. I'll make sure to post when I have come up with something so you won't waste your time thinking of another idea.