A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] logo blaster

[WIP] logo blaster

ok this is what i've been working on for about 2 weeks now. My terrain destroying game. Project started as an experiment but another work collegue saw it and asked me to make it into a game about destroying company logo's. Of course in later versions the logo's will be of our client list but for now its just our logo.

i've chucked wmode on so no naughty firefox browsers

updates will come when i figure out the problem with my friggen for in loop, and better hittesting. *cough*

have fun

http://soap.com.au/games/logo
    Last edited by mr_malee; 06-02-2006 at 04:47 AM.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

very very very nice work mr malee.
    Hope none of your clients are too worried about their logos being blown up

chrisError//

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    just wonderful, very fun game

But...

I don't think the clients want to see their logos been blowing out, LOL

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Very coool.

Your engine rocks. You're not forced to reply but I wander a couple of things about it. Are you using "masks" to hide the desttryed parts of the logo? Drawing the new white borders after each explosion doesn't seem so easy, if you can tell us more...

A quick remark about the tiny remaining piece of logo that we can't blow out, I would make them explode when you detect it's to small to be touch, as it's frustrating to see we don't totally complete the job.

About the gameplay, there should be more difficulty in the game, it would add a lot of interest to it. Yes it' fun for 1 minute but you could keep people playing for several hours if you add levels, ennemies. Maybe just add a big count down and make it time limited would do fine. Some powerups falling from the sky and new terrific weapons would definitly make this game a hit. Just my opinion.

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    Sietjp: I think he uses BitMap data or what ever and removes the pixels that are hit by the weapons and draws a border for the exposed pixels, or something to that extent.

I'm amazed at how well Flash seems to handle all the particles and such. I flew up into the air and shot down with the machine gun to get little or no slowdown.

Nice work.

@OpethRockr55 : Thanks. What you describe is only possible with flash 8, isn't it?

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    Yeah, it's only possible with Flash 8 and I have no idea how it's done. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sietjp
    Your engine rocks. You're not forced to reply but I wander a couple of things about it. Are you using "masks" to hide the desttryed parts of the logo? Drawing the new white borders after each explosion doesn't seem so easy, if you can tell us more...

A quick remark about the tiny remaining piece of logo that we can't blow out, I would make them explode when you detect it's to small to be touch, as it's frustrating to see we don't totally complete the job.

About the gameplay, there should be more difficulty in the game, it would add a lot of interest to it. Yes it' fun for 1 minute but you could keep people playing for several hours if you add levels, ennemies. Maybe just add a big count down and make it time limited would do fine. Some powerups falling from the sky and new terrific weapons would definitly make this game a hit. Just my opinion.
    glad you like it, uses bitmapData to create the landscape works like this:

-draw landscape into a movieclip, reference as landBmp
    -perform getPixel32 on landscape at bullets position (other tricks are used to determine if we have passed a pixel, currently working on a better method)
    -if there's a hit, change the hole movieclip's size to the correct force, draw this holde movieclip onto the landBmp with the "erase" layer mode
    -create particles by using copyPixels

Drum roll please - border on the bitmap is simply an outer glow with no blur.

and yes many many many things will be added to this game, including much more weapons, 2 player and computer battles (deathmatch, ctf, etc.) working on adding AI which will try to re-build the level.

I'll post up more when it gets done

Great work, and it's allready fun to play despite it not really being a game at the moment.

Do you think you can find ways to make it less demanding on system resources? If you're going to make it into a game I think you'd need to. It's taking most of my processor power even when I'm not moving or shooting.

yeah working on that estartic, probably due to the fact that i have some big bitmaps in there

Thanks for your mini tutorial, flash 8 brings a lot of possibilities for (flash) game developement!

haha,sweet,i like it

That is insanely addicting. There's not many games that I play and think "I'll be coming back to this one"

I did with this game.

I agree that you should add other levels (aka: more logos) possibles the occasional enemy (perhaps ever-increasing numbers as the levels progress, this way, you could just write a code that goes back to the same frame, loads a random logo, and allows a certain number more of enemies to enter) I don't think the time should be constrained, that might be a little frustrating.

I'd kinda' like to see a flamethrower...

gfx update, collison detection (partilces) is now much better and much faster and maybe some peformance updates, not everything is being controlled by an array, i plan to do that in the future, only the debris is.

http://soap.com.au/games/logo

clear them caches people

That makes a huge difference. Were it took about 90% of my cpu power it now uses 0% - 2%! On 'impact' it now uses about 50%. (used to be 100)

The logo has become elastic and grows back a little when blown up. That's a nice effect, but hopefully not required for good performance.

looking great!

cool update,i like it

Quote Originally Posted by Estartic
    That makes a huge difference. Were it took about 90% of my cpu power it now uses 0% - 2%! On 'impact' it now uses about 50%. (used to be 100)

The logo has become elastic and grows back a little when blown up. That's a nice effect, but hopefully not required for good performance.

looking great!
    i have been quite the busy boy... that wobble is created from a displacement map, so many effects are possible with this, of course i'll add buttons to enable and disable certain effects + there's more optimisation to be done with the players hitTesting, projectiles control maybe some effect tweaking as well.

might have something better for you guys tommorrow, maybe a bit of AI

glad you like it

Believe me, this was a really big performance boost. I didn't post before since it was quite painful to play (but then my comp is kind of old, 1ghz 512 ram, firefox despite recommendations) but now it runs very quickly with only a few apparent drops in fps
    when there's much going on. Awsome game, really satisfying
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Hey Malee...

Ive not been around much to see flash 8's new features, this really shows what can be achieved... wow.

Now make it a game.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga