dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tricky Texture

Tricky Texture

Right any abuse or pay back can be done here, cause I've been *****y in some other threads. Have at me.

Anyone have any ideas how to create a realistic cracked texture, like the type of craking you'd get on an aged oil painting?

EG Mona lisa

I've been playing around with a few ps filters but bleh I mean BLEH.
    I was thinking perhaps creating an overlay layer and then going crasy with the lasso to cut out areas, use paint brushes to give the edges details , duplicate and fill with black, blur to create the dropshadow, but it just seems a lot of work.
    Hints / ideas or links to tutes welcome. Spanks guys.

from the top of my head you can try http://www.mayang.com/textures/

and look for "Paint effects" or "Mud". Try select one of the textures, shrink it, duplicate until you get the texture big enough to cover your image. Play with lights/contrast until you get mostly the crack parts. Then you place the texture at the top layer and toy with the layer type (i forgot which one works best).

But i mean someone may just comes up with a filter or a brush that let you do the texture by just few clicks. so you better wait for more replies.

goodluck

lol. Thanks Juju.
    Awesome link. You don't think it would look reppetative over too large an area?

not if you rotate them around, and at small size like painting's cracks it's probably not too obvious.

interesting.
    Cool, I'll play around with it. Thanks hun.

Here's one way to do it that is quite similar to Jujumon's method.

The basic steps are outlined below. That final texture was used twice, with one layer set to Overlay at 21% opacity and the other set to Soft Light at 27% opacity. Oh yeah, I also ended up throwing some Film Grain in there to give it a little more 'grit'.

Let me know if something isn't quite clear.

mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

That looks damn good Rush.
    Im def going to give that a try when I get back home. I was a bit sceptical because I was hoping to maintain the colour and image depth, i thought over filtering would kill it.
    Thanks for taking the time to mini tute.
    LOVE YOU!

Aw, shucks.

As a matter of possible interest, you'll notice that the image with the cracks is a bit more washed out than the original. This was done intentionally in an effort to simulate the loss of vibrancy that comes with great age. I figured if it was old enough to be cracked it was old enough to be a bit faded as well. So if you are looking to maintain color and image depth I wouldn't be too worried. You can simply not bother with washing out the original.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I still wuv you.

heart like a south african taxi, always room for one more.