dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3d globe?

3d globe?

Hey all,

I'm looking to create a 3d spinning globe. Now, that isn't too hard... what I'm wondering is if there is a way to place dynamic content on part of the spinning globe? So, as users log into a site, for example, a little smiley would appear on that portion of the globe as it continues spinning. It's kind of a difficult, maybe impossible task, but I wondered if anyone might be able to point me in a general direction? thanks!
    Woody

helo there

That's a nice idea you haVe in your mind, and I really wish I could help ya, but I duno much abt it..was just surfing this site, sothought of registering! U fink "globally" a lot

woodman, what tools (software) do you have access to? and how proficient are you at coding?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

a little bit of everything... coding, haha, not so much
    Woody

and btw gerbik, 16,000+ posts! whoa!
    Woody

well, there's already a Flashkit Tracker that pretty much does what you need, only in 2D. Via the "create a link" click, which is parsed via PHP, you enter the coordinates and city and it does it for you.

Now, with the sheer amount of PHP code out there, you could cull via the IP address or any other information - say signup/sign-in information in the account once signed up - and pull their details that way. All you'd need though - this is where it gets very tricky and I wouldn't know how to directly do this even if I were not travelling at the moment and don't have Flash in front of me - would be to set up movie via the Library and have each "sector" show up as a possible outcome and have it render approximately where the user is located, or... hmmm.

Somehow track where that person is but not get too deep into things like GPS data, that would be overkill.

The rest, I'd model and render in 3ds Max or Swift3D, render out to *.swf (bitmap instead of vector) and then set it up to where it'll rotate to certain sectors/hemispheres, make those renders into movie clips in the library, and then create a cursor that would either incorporate the data they input - like the FK Tracker - and have it "record" it's variables and PHP/MySQL remember them and pass the variables along to the *.swf and the cursor, or... ok, I'm still brainstorming.

There's more than one way to accomplish this, but without saying what tools you have access too, and how deep into coding you are, you might want to search around for other Flash "trackers" in the Flashkit Movie section, if not other ones out there.

The globe rotating bit though, that's pretty easy. I have about two or three Earth models that I've either created or found out there on the internet... like this one for instance... 'tis free, and you'll need at least 3ds max 4.

Just a few thoughts to help you along.

yeah, I was thinking something along those lines... but I'm just submerging myself in php and mysql. Just out of curiousity... can flash play frames backwards? so instead of playing frames 1 to 5, it plays the frames 5 to 1? thank you for the ideas gerbick
    Woody

Here's how :

1.) Create your movieclip

2.) Add the following actions to the movieclip
    Code:
    onClipEvent (load) {
        stop ();
        var speed = 1;
        var direction;
    }
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
        if (direction == "ff") {
            gotoAndStop (_currentframe+speed);
        } else if (direction == "rr") {
            gotoAndStop (_currentframe-speed);
        }
    }
    3.) Add the following actions to your movieclip button
    Code:
    on (rollOver) {
        _root.this-movie.direction = "ff";
    }
    on (rollOut) {
        _root.this-movie.direction = "rr";
    }
    4.) That's it!! Now you can mouseover your button, and on mouseoff it will play backwards. The mouseoff only plays backwards from the frame it's got to, (instead of jumping to the end frame and playing backwards, if the user has not allowed the full mouseover affect to run)
    Snatched this from Tek-Tips...