A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Totally Befuddled -- linking to a new page using Flash 8

Totally Befuddled -- linking to a new page using Flash 8

I'm brand-new to Flash (I'm using Flash 8) ... I'm trying to do something that seems simple but I can't figure it out. I bought a template and I'm just trying to add a new page. It comes with 5 pages, "About Us", ect. I'm simply trying to make a new page, using the "About Us" page to copy for the new page. My question is, how do I make the text link to the new page work? It just keeps displaying the "About Us" page, not the new page. How do you name the new page so that the ActionScript can find it? Where are the names of these pages? As far as I can tell, the ActionScript finds the "About Us" page with the number "2" as you can see in this code:

on(release) {
    if(_root.link<>2) {
    _root.menu["item" + _root.link].gotoAndPlay("s2");
    _root.link = 2;
    _root.pages.page.play();

So how do I name my new page, or give it a number? I see no way of naming or renaming pages that already exist or that I just created.

I'm a serious newbie -- thanks for any enlightenment!!

In the property inspector down the bottom of your screen in the left there is a little white box you can type in. If you click on a keyframe in the time line the little white box will same <frame label>. That's where your pages are being named.

If you want to name something on the stage just click it then the little box will say <instance name> you can label your movieclips, text boxes and graphics in there.

That's how you talk to your bits and peices or the stage itself with actionscript.

hope this helps a little

Monkey

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it ... but it didn't work.

I did what you said: I went to my new page that I created (which is called blok11) and in the white box at the bottom left that says "frame" I put the number 7, because the last page was created was number 6. As far as I know there isn't a page 7 so that's what I called this new page. Then I put this code in the "Read More" text link from page 6:

on (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }
    on (rollOut) {
    gotoAndPlay(6);
    }
    on(release) {
    if(_root.link<>7) {
    _root.menu["item" + _root.link].gotoAndPlay("s2");
    _root.link = 7;
    _root.pages.page.play();

}
    }

All this does is show page 6 again when you click on the link in page 6 instead of advancing it to page 7.

Also, how do you tell the names of pages that already exist? For example, page 6 ... why doesn't it say in the "Frame Label" box the number 6 when you are on that page -- it's just a white box? Why doesn't it tell you what page is what?

Thanks again for your help!