A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How safe is Bali?

Bali is pretty close to Java, where Mount Merapi is active and under close watch. It's expected to erupt any time now.

"Activity at the volcano has increased since Saturday's earthquake, with hot clouds spewed out an average of 150 times a day, compared with 50 times before, said Subandriyo, chief of the Merapi volcanology and monitoring office.

The earthquake has caused instability in the lava dome," said Subandriyo, who like many Indonesians uses only one name. "There is still a chance that a big eruption might occur."

Mount Merapi, which means "Fire Mountain," is one of the world's most active volcanos and has erupted scores of times in the last 200 years, often with deadly results."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197383,00.html

All joking aside. I worked at Mt. St. Helens starting in the spring of 82, putting the new roads back in. 2 years after the eruption, it was still farting loud enough to hurt your chest and ear drums with the shockwave, from 15 air miles away.

I was right at the base of the cone, on the side with all the damage, every day. The road in, wound up the side of another mountain to the north of St. Helens, with a perfect view from 10 air miles away, from the center of the cone. There was a pullout on the road and a lookout place. You could stand with your legs on the guard rail, which was right on a drop off down to the river between the two mountains. If you look directly at the cone, put your arms out to either side and do that old peripheral vision test, all you could see in your visual world was utter destruction.

Not a tree standing. No recognizable man made objects of any kinds. And it was grey. It made me feel like I was in a russian labor camp old movie. You could see to the west for 35 miles, and about 10 to the east. I know it's hard to believe this, but there was no green in an otherwise northern deep forest setting. It was all gone. All of it.

There were I think, 56 people that snuck up there to see the fireworks. None of them survived. Believe me. You do not want to be anywhere near an erupting volcano. Not for any reason.

I've been to Bali last year and had some concerns as well, but everything went fine.

Then again, 2 weeks later there was that October bombing in the same restaurant we went to eat a couple of times.

But like everyone else said, you can die any day.
    Your plane could crash, you could get hit by a car, get eaten by a shark, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by david petley
    ...seems to me that there is a risk of dying or not dying everywhere, everyday...sort of like a 50-50 chance at life....or not.
    i get what you're saying. but, just because theres a chance you could die at any moment doesn't really change the fact that in some circumstances your chances of dying any moment are increased by folds. for instance, you don't run across busy highways to get to the market just because theres a chance you could get struck by lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    There were I think, 56 people that snuck up there to see the fireworks. None of them survived. Believe me. You do not want to be anywhere near an erupting volcano. Not for any reason.
    no doubt. i was able to see that eruption from where i lived hours away in Portland at the time. it rained ash for a week.

im pretty sure i will just stay in the Maldives for an extra week, alone if i have to. it might be really tough going tho. not sure if i can hack it.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by indivision

im pretty sure i will just stay in the Maldives for an extra week, alone if i have to. it might be really tough going tho. not sure if i can hack it.

...that looks like it would be seriously difficult

david

i was able to see that eruption from where i lived hours away in Portland at the time.
    Did you ever get up on that road I was talking about? Quite the view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Did you ever get up on that road I was talking about? Quite the view.
    no. must have been crazy there. something most people wouldn't see anything alike in their lives.

ive always wanted to go up there but the closest ive been has just been driving either to Seattle or Carson.