A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rust Effect

Rust Effect

I've got a few dials in movieclips in my latest flash project and I want them to look old and rusty. I've not got a scooby how to do this, could anyone come up with something? Basically the dials are just circles that spin round based on the time.

Ta.

Do you have an image of the kind of dial you are trying to recreate? What does everything else in your layout look like?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Nah, that's kinda the problem.

Here's what I have so far, I just did basic circles, but I want to give it a aged, used type look. Kinda like in the same sense as films like StarWars or Matrix. Not futuristic, but used, old type look.

TimeSince

Each dial represents different denominations of years, days, hours, minutes and seconds.

Any ideas?

rust is actually really easy to obtain....

You are going to use PS right ?

http://www.snecx.com/core.php?sect=tutor/rust

Is a good place to start. Keep in mind that all effects can be altered to fit your taste..

ala

www.dp-labs.com/clients/rust

It's your lucky day. I was in the mood to make some rusty dials.

mrush

where's the extensive tutorial you're famous for, Rush???
    you keep offering free graphics, you'll be broke in no time

It's true that I'm too nice for my own good.

I really need to do something about that...
    mrush

Nice one Rush,

Thanks a lot. Did you do that in PhotoShop then?

If you are famous for tutorials in that sort of thing I would be interested but that is braw. Ta.

I'll have a wee look at the link N_R_D posted.

Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Neily74
    Nice one Rush,

Thanks a lot. Did you do that in PhotoShop then?
    No problem. And yeah, it was Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Neily74
    I'll have a wee look at the link N_R_D posted.
    That's why I didn't do the tutorial. No offense, but based on the wording of your post and the example dials you posted, I assumed you either didn't have Photoshop or didn't have the desire to learn much about it. I don't want to put hours of work into something that will be given only a passing glance once complete. Also, since tutorials on how to make rust abound on the net I figured there wasn't much need for yet another one.

And like I said, I really was just in the mood to make some rusty dials.
    mrush

I have got Photoshop and I probably will look through that tutorial, I would like to get better at using it as I just really using it for doctoring/tidying up photos and stitching them together (Skatepark Galleries ).

I just don't really know that much about creating original images or effects using Photoshop, hence the question.

Thanks again, really appreciate it. I'll post the finished product when I'm done. Ta.

ur just lucky he was in the mood for you

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHVision
    No problem. And yeah, it was Photoshop.

That's why I didn't do the tutorial. No offense, but based on the wording of your post and the example dials you posted, I assumed you either didn't have Photoshop or didn't have the desire to learn much about it. I don't want to put hours of work into something that will be given only a passing glance once complete. Also, since tutorials on how to make rust abound on the net I figured there wasn't much need for yet another one.

And like I said, I really was just in the mood to make some rusty dials.
    And some nice rusty dials they were.

I wouldnt mind a quick tute on the last dial...., and a post on the texture

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Woah, great work Rush

how about a step by steo tut on that one

excellent rust

Thanks, el. Actually I've been meaning to get back to this, perhaps this will be the incentive I needed to get it done.

It's true that I've been meaning to do this. I even left the notification of the last post in this thread as a reminder to myself in my inbox. The fact is, I was going back through this thread at one point and I decided to see who was doing the asking for the tut. (yeah, sometimes I need to determine whether or not it's going to be worth my time) It turns out that N_R_D is really quite helpful in other forums that I don't frequent that often. So while I wasn't personally familiar with him, I do like to do my part to reward positive participation in the forums and I will feel more compelled to help these types of people than I would someone with only a few posts, for instance. Just to name a select few, Natsia, Black_phoenix and lefteyewilly are excellent examples of people who are always quick to assist with advice or wit. Thanks for being here, guys! And everyone else who takes the time to answer questions instead of just asking them.

Don't get me wrong, I do what I can to help out anyone who needs it, but I'll go the extra mile for those who tend to hang out and give back a little bit instead of just taking all the time. So N_R_D...sorry it's taken me so long, bud. I'll try to get something worked up for you guys. I appreciate having you around.
    mrush

I appreciate being let to be around

Yeah I am kind of a forum whore

Alright guys, had some stuff get in the way time-wise, but I finally got a chance to finish it off. You can check it out here.
    mrush

Neily74 ~

Here is something that I think will help you a lot more than a tutorial about how to make rust.
    mrush