dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with all the animal discoveries?

What's with all the animal discoveries?

In the past week...

New mountain species [of insect] discovered

Rare giraffe-like animal spotted

New shark discovered in US waters

Scientists getting bored so inventing new animals probably...

did you watch the hobbit special on 60 minutes last night? What a load of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    did you watch the hobbit special on 60 minutes last night? What a load of crap.
    Do explain - what exactly was the load?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    Hobbits are realzIes?!
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

haha, i didn't catch the whole thing, but there was this tribe in indonesia that say that there were these human like creatures taht lived in caves on the side of a volcano. They called them something goofy like "ooboo-gooboo" which means these creatures eat everything they can find. Apparently, these creatures looked like humans but were only 3 feet tall, were very hairy and had long arms that dragged on the ground. But the way they were talking, it sounded more like a fairy tale than actual beings. The tribes people did say that these things were last seen about 50 years ago...who knows...sounds fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk
    Rare giraffe-like animal spotted
    that is one freaky looking animal

how can you guys watch that much tv?
    I can tolerate 2 hours a month at best.

haha, i didn't catch the whole thing, but there was this tribe in indonesia that say that there were these human like creatures taht lived in caves on the side of a volcano. They called them something goofy like "ooboo-gooboo" which means these creatures eat everything they can find. Apparently, these creatures looked like humans but were only 3 feet tall, were very hairy and had long arms that dragged on the ground. But the way they were talking, it sounded more like a fairy tale than actual beings. The tribes people did say that these things were last seen about 50 years ago...who knows...sounds fishy to me.
    Well, you do know that the reason they were asking about them is because they found their bones, right? There's some debate over whether this is an entirely new species that co-habitated with homo sapians tens of thousands of years ago or just a few abnormal skeletons, but the special was based on the archelogical find, not the stories of the tribes people.

Quote Originally Posted by japangreg
    Well, you do know that the reason they were asking about them is because they found their bones, right? There's some debate over whether this is an entirely new species that co-habitated with homo sapians tens of thousands of years ago or just a few abnormal skeletons, but the special was based on the archelogical find, not the stories of the tribes people.
    Well then why did yuo ask ME what the deelio was?

Quote Originally Posted by frets
    when did this turn into a TV discussion? I think Asheep was just posting news articles...much different than TV shows. And to be honest, i don't think there's anything wrong with watching a lot of informative/educational television.

Well then why did yuo ask ME what the deelio was?
    Was just curious why you would say it was a load; it's not like the researchers were claiming the 'hobbits' actually did anything that the villagers said, or lived in hobbit-holes in hills or anything. Those stories were a small part of the entire special. From the tone of your post, I thought you had some doubt about the authenticity of the find or something.

oh, no. Like i said, i only caught the last half of it, so all i saw were the tribes people talking about it. The only thing i remember hearing about the skeleton was that it was stolen. All the rest seemed like fairy tale stuf they tell their kids (kind of like movie 'The Village'...but not so stupid)

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    I can tolerate 2 hours a month at best.
    2 hours a month? 25 seconds worth of tv a day? thats barely an entire commericial.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I saw the hobbit thing months ago. So what? There are still plenty of 3 foot tall people living today. Where's the mystery?

It's usually in one fell swoop. There is more then enough informational content on the web to meet my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    It's usually in one fell swoop. There is more then enough informational content on the web to meet my needs.
    your like a robot.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

They thought the hobbits where actually a human with a genetic defect, but in the end I think they found 7 separate individuals bones. This defect is extremely rare so they are thinking that they are a separate species. Also Old Geezer, the reason it was getting attention was because these were not dwarfs or midgets, they seem to be a separate branch off of the human evolutionary path. So these were not humans at all.

lol more like the little guys on "The Mummy Returns" in the forest. Scary SOBs if you ask me.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

I think they are sensationalizing this. A hundred thousand years ago, we weren't "human" either. Even 40K years ago, neanderthals were still around, not known for being tall, and the Pygmy tribe member of today is barly 4 feet tall now.

I think, if I remember right, one of the questions was how smart can a brain be in a small skull. Well, ask a midget.

LOL
    Yeah I do aggree but man when you work in something as boring as they do. Something like this is huge

I did catch a special the other day on some super sized roman fun boats that some German lowered a lake to retrieve, but they were later destroyed during the war. But it was a very interesting special.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Yeah I do aggree but man when you work in something as boring as they do.
    It's got be as tedious as separating fly **** from black pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by japangreg
    no. my understanding is that they are important because they might be the authors of the judas gospel.