A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So you want to make an mmorpg?

So you want to make an mmorpg?

this should stay a sticky forever
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

sorry Tom, but I already knew how to do all that, and I do have a team of, like 15 coderz and php'ers, I just need to know how to stop my character walking through walls.

[sorry, completely pointless post to a good stickuy, but you know it's early in the morning here and I wanna amuse myself and feel funny, so please feel free to delete this post mods out there]

chris

Quote Originally Posted by chriserrorplain
    sorry Tom, but I already knew how to do all that, and I do have a team of, like 15 coderz and php'ers, I just need to know how to stop my character walking through walls.

[sorry, completely pointless post to a good stickuy, but you know it's early in the morning here and I wanna amuse myself and feel funny, so please feel free to delete this post mods out there]

chris
    On first look your post may seem like nonsense fun making but yeah,it has a deeper sense on second look
    How many threads do we have where people want to make the most time taking game types and at the same time ask for basic syntax help or code snippets showing that they are just not ready yet. No offense to no one,just take it as friendly reminder that you should learn how to walk (or make a character walk) before you try to run (or make a huge game)
    As the article linked here states in nice manner,a small experiement or game can and will be much more rewarding once you´ve done it than a huge game you can´t finish.

I think this is an equally valid link to have stuck here:

http://www.flipcode.com/articles/art...mplegame.shtml

I'm so going to be looking at writing a Playback demo module now

Squize.

Minions of Mirth (MoM) was made in 10 months by essentially 2 people and some contracted artwork. The MMORPG was done with Torque and numerous open source software.

So, it can be done *IF* you know what you are doing. The problem is that most people wanting to make an MMORPG have no skills or experience at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyennecloud
    Minions of Mirth (MoM) was made in 10 months by essentially 2 people and some contracted artwork. The MMORPG was done with Torque and numerous open source software.

So, it can be done *IF* you know what you are doing. The problem is that most people wanting to make an MMORPG have no skills or experience at all.
    thssshtttt !
    Don't say this too loud, n00bs could hear you.

crossconscious
    http://www.realmcrafter.com/

Not that I've tried it, but it might be something to throw at newbies when they want to create an mmorpg.

also be prepared to have no life for a long time, as programs like this take a ton of code to make!

Quote Originally Posted by mpalma
    also be prepared to have no life for a long time, as programs like this take a ton of code to make!
    That one hit it right on the dot! Regarding this game we're making (Nth Legion) coding started Novermber 2005... it's almost done, but still... it ain't finished!!!
    i eat actionscripts for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by cheyennecloud

well, very true but torque and flash is very different. I got tge, so i can say that

problem is most noob come into flashkit forum want to make a mmorpg with flash. With so many free and high quality 3d mmorpg out there, who want to play a flash mmorpg. Dofus is different case, because it is a high quality one hehe

And it's french

I know it is Fils, but nothing is perfect

Chriserror//

And ( Hmmm this going to slip into a debate isn't it ), Dofus was state sponsored. I believe ( Please feel to correct me ) that the dev team was sponsored for a year during it's development.

Not saying they were eating diamond sandwiches and drinking angels tears during that year, I imagine the guys were far from comfortable, but before everyone holds up Dofus as the ideal, and that it is possible for some indies to do something like this, well yes it is. If you've got food on the table and a year to do it in. Oh, a year to do it in, and no end client, you're just doing it for yourself.

To put it in perspective, in a year at work, with a similar sized team, we did Spooks, Jamie Kane and Death in Sakkarha[sp I can't even spell my own game, how lame is that].

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    And ( Hmmm this going to slip into a debate isn't it ), Dofus was state sponsored. I believe ( Please feel to correct me ) that the dev team was sponsored for a year during it's development.
    I believe too the had the money gathered up before starting the Dofus. And to say they did it in 1 year is understatement, it has been 5 years now and its not even finished. Remember, MMORPG needs quite a lot of cash and people to keep running, servers crash, people complain about lags, bugs are found etc, its not like once it gets released you simply collect the payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    Not saying they were eating diamond sandwiches and drinking angels tears during that year, I imagine the guys were far from comfortable, but before everyone holds up Dofus as the ideal, and that it is possible for some indies to do something like this, well yes it is. If you've got food on the table and a year to do it in. Oh, a year to do it in, and no end client, you're just doing it for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonypa
    I believe too the had the money gathered up before starting the Dofus. And to say they did it in 1 year is understatement, it has been 5 years now and its not even finished. Remember, MMORPG needs quite a lot of cash and people to keep running, servers crash, people complain about lags, bugs are found etc, its not like once it gets released you simply collect the payments.
    Do you familiar with todays' fashion of making MMORPG games using any server side scripting language and database. I know several guys who love this stuff which comes almost w/o graphics just pure HTML with a chat, schematic locations and a crapy character they loved. I really wonder what hangs teenagers play in such crap. If its so popular, the next logical step for such games make front end with Flash technology, keeping server side backend in ASP/ PHP with same databse.

aka poling

not necessarily, polling is a way of accessing the server, there are multiple ways of doing that. what helmsman is talking about is a front end for text rpgs
    Help build a Flash Online Multi Player RPG:

trac link

Will be Open Source
    BETA should be out end of year (hopefully )

True but i believe on encouragement so your post stinks may be we can put it in better ways.

Make a plan by stages
    estimate cost and time
    Complete each stage
    Have fun

Those are the things that should be done to help each other
    Jay

The man with the plan !!!

hey... i dont get HOW my post discourages or encourages anyone, all i was doing was explaining something...

But the points you made are good aswell

Also with any big project, you not only need to plan the technical side, but also manage people. Choosing a work methodology, using project management software etc helps you keep your goals realistic and gets the job done, but people are the main part of any software and you need to keep them happy. Make sure people are having fun developing, or else they won't do it, and neither should you.
    Help build a Flash Online Multi Player RPG:

trac link

Will be Open Source
    BETA should be out end of year (hopefully )