dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: designing badly

designing badly

When i create something in flash im always afraid that i must design my flash rightfully using the best way (as we all know we can make the same thing in different ways - smarter of stupider) otherwise it will become very heavy and slow, well anyway i dont want it to become a problem when vewing it in the web so im trying to pic the best way possible, but is this not significant in the way it produces?. Is it better not to waiste time in the way of design and i should just design everything with the first way it pops in my head?
    Plz comment this and why! Oh i have a headeacke all ready!

Wow buddy, I think you need to start by just relaxing a bit. You're going to have a meltdown if you continue down the rickety road to self-imposed madness that you are currently on.

It's very simple...just let go of your fear of doing something 'wrong'. Your concern that you may be working slightly less effectively than the absolute optimum is overwhelming your ability to create freely. Here's a piece of advice that was given to a friend of mine by his father...you are going to fail, that's a fact. The trick is to fail fast, then get back up and try something else until it works. So let go of your worry that you are not doing something exactly right. Expect that you might not and simply strive to improve the next time or do it again until it is right....but either way, just do it...don't get hung up on getting it perfect the first time all the time.

The only way you will learn to 'design your flash rightfully' is through experience, and the best way to gain that is by doing it. It's true that some methods are more efficient than others. So take a little time and do some research on the subjects that you think will have the greatest impact on your workflow efficiency and allow you to produce highly optimized movies suitable for quick delivery on the web, then put that knowledge to use when you are designing. There is always going to be a better way that comes along, just have an open and flexible mind and keep track of the current trends and latest info.

The number one thing right now, though...you're overwhelmed. Take a step back and then tackle just one aspect at a time. That's how the largest structures and the most complex applications are made...one small piece at a time that builds into a larger whole. So do that, just take it one piece at a time and it will all come together and make sense.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

RUSHvision thanx for your suggestions, very important to me i apreciate them.

One question that stilll stands is: when i design something badly -and im not refering to the esthetics or the looks of the design but the mechanism it works- does that have an impact on how fast it loads or moves when viewed by people with less bandwidth?
    Also are there ways, i mean some standard donts and do's that one web designer must take to be correct in design (and i repeat not in esthetics)! For example -with my my ignorance- one dont could be u cant have more than 70symbols on a project cause it compromises speed of loading. But thats just mine fantastic example...

Quote Originally Posted by zoranbbb
    when i design something badly -and im not refering to the esthetics or the looks of the design but the mechanism it works- does that have an impact on how fast it loads or moves when viewed by people with less bandwidth?
    How you structure your movie can have an impact on how fast it loads, but once the movie is loaded, how fast the elements move around on the screen is going to depend on processor speed and RAM rather than on bandwidth. If an animation hasn't fully loaded yet though, then it will appear to stutter and hang while it waits for the rest of the frames to load.

In order to get your movie to load smoothly and quickly it's important to know how Flash loads things and in what order. I'm not as current with Flash as I should be, but for instance, all sounds that are in a movie get loaded with the first frame so if your movie is sound-heavy then even a movie with very simple vector graphics is going to load slowly because it's not going to start until all the sounds are loaded. So that's just one thing to take into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by zoranbbb
    Also are there ways, i mean some standard donts and do's that one web designer must take to be correct in design (and i repeat not in esthetics)! For example -with my my ignorance- one dont could be u cant have more than 70symbols on a project cause it compromises speed of loading. But thats just mine fantastic example...
    I'd say that yes, there are probably quite a few things that you do and don't want to do in regard to creating Flash movies. This is another big subject that needs to be broken down into smaller parts, though. There are things you do and don't want to do with raster images, vector graphics, sounds, video, fonts, code and more. Each of those is a separate subject though, and each will require it's own separate search to find the answers. The best place to begin that search would be the help file that comes with Flash, what is now adobe's Flash whitepapers that deal with known issues and has solutions for many common problems, and last, but not least...the many specific Flash forums found right here at Flash Kit.

And that is another thing...this is the Design & Graphics forum and as such it is dedicated more to the artistic and technical aspects of working with images than it is to working with Flash. You'll get a better response (depending on the mood of the members, I suppose) if you post questions directly related to Flash in the forums specifically set up to field them. Good luck.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..