A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hierarchy MC trageting

Exclamation

Is there a definitive guide to hierarchy MC trageting anywhere on here or elsewhere? I have such difficulty targeting MCs that are several levels back or on the root in to-be multi-nested, loaded movies.

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    Chapter 4 starting on page 97 of your ActionScript reference guide.

Or you can go to help>Actionscript Reference select working with Movie Clips .

Hmm. I've read through any info I can get my hands on including that, and never found a definitive guide to all the different forms the hierarchy can take. The problem is the vast array of different phrasing that can be used to target the same thing.

I have a _droptarget action that works perfectly like this as an absolute target:

on (release) {
    stopDrag ();
    if (getProperty("", _droptarget) eq "/Motion/rollover area") {
    tellTarget ("../../../clientsloadmovie") {
    gotoAndStop ("one");
    }

I want to change it to a relative link because this movie is getting loaded into another. The problem is NO OTHER PATH will work. I've tried absolutes starting with _level0, _root, _meta, etc. I've tried relative paths. The relative path to 'rollover area' SHOULD BE "../../rollover area", but that doesn't work either! I've even re-typed the exact path from the Debugger. Is this a problem specific to _droptarget?