A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash website will not load

Question Flash website will not load

I just created my first website entirely in flash 8 and when I upload the page and try to preview it I always get a blank rectangle and no movie appears...I just switched to Flash 8 and I never had that problem before...I also notice that if I try to insert the flash movie into a dreamweaver page the same thing happens...maybe I can't figure out how to configure it correctly??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Silvia

How did you create the html? Sorry to ask such stupid question but do you have the Flash player 8 installed? Could you give a link to your site.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I'm not sure I understand the question but here is the link to the site...and yes my flash player 8 is installed.

www.silviamele.com

Silvia, are you previewing the movie as you go by clicking on "test movie" in the Control menu. It would be real strange if you could not even get a preview at the begining stages. Then are you publishing the movie and sending the html and swf file to a server. Probably not because you said you wanted to load it into Dreamweaver

Weird
    Dave
    Dave S.
    Creating, the ultimate passion
    www.dittomark.com

You published your movie in Flash 7. You have to publish it in Flash 8. View source.

Dave, I did the "test movie" in the control panel and it works, it's only once I "publish" it and look at the html version, it's blank. I didn't want to load it in dreamweaver, that was just a test...

Quote Originally Posted by Dstoverden
    Silvia, are you previewing the movie as you go by clicking on "test movie" in the Control menu. It would be real strange if you could not even get a preview at the begining stages. Then are you publishing the movie and sending the html and swf file to a server. Probably not because you said you wanted to load it into Dreamweaver

Weird
    Dave

Now how did that happen?!? That is really weird because the whole thing was build in Flash 8?!?

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    You published your movie in Flash 7. You have to publish it in Flash 8. View source.

It happened to me, when I used a Flash 7 movie and continued in Flash 8. Even you save in 8 you need to update the publish settings.

Ok, thanks, I'll try that and let you know.

I tried updating the publish settings and it says "Flash version 8.0.0" but when I hit the "publish" button I still get the same results! The whole was done in Flash 8, I did not start it in Flash 7.

It happened to me, when I used a Flash 7 movie and continued in Flash 8. Even you save in 8 you need to update the publish settings.

I don't think I can answer this question without seing the fla.

Ok, I uninstalled Flash 8 and re-installed it with all its components, Flash Player, plugins, shockwave...etc, If you take a look at the website (www.silviamele.com) and go into "source" you will see that it now says Flash version 8....ok, but I still cannot see the movie, at least not on my computer anyway.

I don't think I can answer this question without seing the fla.

I attached the file, it's a zip...Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Everything is fine.
    http://flashscript.biz/clients/downloads/index.html

Did you upload the swf?

When I check http://silviamele.com/index.swf there is only white space.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 06-13-2006 at 10:51 PM.

Index?

Silvia,
    What is the name of your .fla file. Not index I hope. It looks like one of your swf files was named index.swf.. I think that can cause some problems.

When I name my original flash file, lets say it is called "betthefarm" and then publish it, I get

betthefarm.fla,
    betthefarm.html and
    betthefarm.swf.

I ftp the html and the swf file to my server and then change the betthefarm.html to index.html and hit refresh. Am I being to elementary. Pardon the insult if I am. But that index.swf throws me a curve. It may work, I have never tried it.
    Dave S.
    www.dittomark.com

Yep I uploaded the .swf file....and Dave, I had originally named the file a different name but then changed it to index.htm, index.swf... and upload it to ftp...I really don't know what else to do, it seems that I'm doing everything correctly but it still doesn't work

You saw it works on my server.

When I check http://silviamele.com/index.swf there is only white space.
    You should see the movie unless it is not uploaded or the path in the html is not correct. Sorry that is all I can say. I never heard that .swfs are not displayed on a server. Have you tried other movies?

Actually the movie is there but not shown. I have to correct myself, because you don't get an error.

I never had this problem...anyway I really appreciate all your help! Thanks so much! I'll try and work on it more...

Actually the movie is there but not shown. I have to correct myself, because you don't get an error.

I also am not sure what is going on but when you hit publish, whatever you named the file to begin with is remembered by the .html and the .swf portions. If you change the .swf file to another name, the .html portion (you can check this by bringing up the code) is looking for the original .swf.

And index is the special name reserved for your .html file. When you publish you will see the html file named whatever you originally called your flash document. The .html file is the only one you would change to index.html when ftping to your web server.

Edit: 12 hrs later.
    I just about forgot, hit the refresh buttons on your browser, also. Sometimes it is as simple as that.
    Also, once i did not put the www. in front of my web page. Strangely it would not load right after I have made some corrections. Don't ask me why? Who knows.
    Dave
    Last edited by Dstoverden; 06-15-2006 at 03:27 PM.
    Dave S.
    www.dittomark.com