A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I send email from Flash 8 with GoDaddy's PHP form?

The file I attached is an fla with a form movie clip on the main timeline. all you need to do is to open that fla, and copy the form movie clip, then paste it in anywhere in your fla. The whole movie clip pastes in and thats all you have to do.

It doesn't matter where inside a movie it lives. You can even load it as an external swf to a level or an empty clip.

Thanks for your quick response. I'm not sure what the problem is then. I modified your file to match my site and my needs, tested it in its own fla file and it worked fine. As soon as I copied those frames into a movie clip in my fla the only thing that still worked is the reset button. I appreciate your assistance. I'll keep plugging away at it.

You can't copy frames and expect it to work. Just drag the form mc from one fla to the other. Then edit the looks of the original and leave the code and names of the boxes alone.

Boo hoo! I cannot seem to get this to work.

I tried using both of the files you uploaded here and even made the change to line 17 to "name" and it still is not working.

When I fill in the blanks it sends it to the server and it then says "please wait for confirmation" and I wait, wait, wait, nothing happens. My site is hosted on godaddy's server as well.

Would any of you mind to let me know what you all did to make any one of these email forms work? Besides changing "thename" to "name" on line 17 and then changing the email address, web address and the company name. What else do I need to do?

If anyone can help me please do! My email addy is: robbimac@alltel.net

THANK YOU in advance for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    You can't copy frames and expect it to work. Just drag the form mc from one fla to the other. Then edit the looks of the original and leave the code and names of the boxes alone.
    I have tried both email forms that you have uploaded Mr Geezer and I just cannot seem to make it work.

I have changed line 17 from "thename" to "name" and even changed the email address to mine, as well as the web address and company name. The rest I left alone.

I copied the flash file into mine and all of the actions, button, etc went in successfully. (BTW I've done this before and have never lost info).

Then uploaded to my site.

When I access via my browser I type in the info, it says it is sending, then it shows the "please wait for confirmation" and at the bottom of my browser it says "waiting for 'name of my site'" I wait, wait, wait, NOTHING happens.

Just hangs there.

I am just stuck here. Have no clue what to do. Been working on this for days. I'm embarrassed to say...

PLEASE HELP!

Double check the var names of the text boxes and make sure they match the names used in the code in frame 1 and the names used in the php file. Also, make sure you used the full path to the php file uploaded to your server.

Double check the var names of the text boxes and make sure they match the names used in the code in frame 1 and the names used in the php file. Also, make sure you used the full path to the php file uploaded to your server.
    Well here I get to show how dumb I am. My server on godaddy is ASP, which of course does not support PHP. So I am out of luck.

Go daddy support just told me to google: asp, flash 8, form mail

Yeah, ok, sure. That gets me no where. I've done that for the last few days and no one seems to be able to get it to work. When I removed asp from my google search I found your posts. An angel you are!

However since I have asp I cannot use the lifesaver files you have thrown out to us.

Very upsetting indeed. Not happy with go daddy. Terrible support when it comes down to form emails. Unfortunately I'm not the only person who's complained. Problem is that I am stuck for one year since I prepaid.

Thank you for helping me. I am VERY greatful! Sorry to have bothered you. I should have remembered to look at what programs I was using. I need flash with asp.

No your not. Why are you using a Windows server? Do you need ASP for your site?

Anyway, you can just have it changed over to Linux if you want.

Or, you can check the Forms category in the Movies section link above. There are cgi forms there and maybe some for ASP.

No your not. Why are you using a Windows server? Do you need ASP for your site?

Anyway, you can just have it changed over to Linux if you want.

Or, you can check the Forms category in the Movies section link above. There are cgi forms there and maybe some for ASP.
    Thank you for helping me. I've spent hours on this trying to learn and am at the end of my rope here. LOL!

My site is hosted on godaddy. Per godaddy support it requires ASP coding, PHP does not work on ASP, I am told "it hangs". That is why the most fantastic program you wrote won't work on a server that takes ASP only.

Go daddy support states that they can move my site to CGI but that still does not fix my problem. CGI does not support PHP either! LOL!

If I go to PHP I would have to pay an additional $156+ for the remaining part of this year. No thanks go daddy! Good grief!

I cannot seem to locate any programs that use ASP and work with flash. I'll hunt some more tonight but if I cannot locate I will have to give up that part of my site and just tell folks to send me an email. I KNOW that that will cut a lot of potential customers from responding. Too much work on their part.

I wrote to go daddy just now and we'll see what they will do. I just cannot believe that so many users have complained about this and that they cannot seem to post at least one FAQ up for flash users or their customers.

So very sad.

Thank you for helping me and the rest of us on this thread! I am very greatful!

I have 4 sites at godaddy, my partenr has more than 20. Why do you need Microsoft server for ASP? If you need it, you need it, but unless your using ASP, just get them to change it over to a Linux server and php/mysql comes with it for free.

I think you can even do it from your control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by robbimac
    Thank you for helping me. I've spent hours on this trying to learn and am at the end of my rope here. LOL!

My site is hosted on godaddy. Per godaddy support it requires ASP coding, PHP does not work on ASP, I am told "it hangs". That is why the most fantastic program you wrote won't work on a server that takes ASP only.

Go daddy support states that they can move my site to CGI but that still does not fix my problem. CGI does not support PHP either! LOL!

If I go to PHP I would have to pay an additional $156+ for the remaining part of this year. No thanks go daddy! Good grief!

I cannot seem to locate any programs that use ASP and work with flash. I'll hunt some more tonight but if I cannot locate I will have to give up that part of my site and just tell folks to send me an email. I KNOW that that will cut a lot of potential customers from responding. Too much work on their part.

I wrote to go daddy just now and we'll see what they will do. I just cannot believe that so many users have complained about this and that they cannot seem to post at least one FAQ up for flash users or their customers.

So very sad.

Thank you for helping me and the rest of us on this thread! I am very greatful!
    Ok just called go daddy support. Found out that the last support person should have given me the option you just told me about. So now they are switching me. I am told I now have to wait 24-72 hours before I can ftp to my site.

Thank you for the suggestions and for all the advice! Again, I am SO GREATFUL!

I am going to send an email to "suggestions@godaddy.com" to complain that they really should have an faq about this for their customers since so many (as seen via googling) have been frustrated as well!

THANK YOU!

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robbimac
    I have no clue who told you this, but whoever told you that he/she was lying to you. When I purchased my domain and web space at GoDaddy, they gave me Windows server by mistake.

I didn't realize that untill I had similar problems with PHP scripts (PHP driven e-mail panel). I simply placed a phone call and in no seconds unbelievable polite member of their technical support, canceled my Windows server order and just switched to Linux one at no additional charge. They just had to cancel previous one so they can switch to Linux.

Also, in general... their technical support is unbelievable polite and knowledgeable for a change. I've really never had not a single bad experience with them.

PHP mail panel works perfect on my site ( www.sasha-z-creations.com )

Cheers !

EDIT: Now I see you realized that when you called them and they did exactly the same thing they did to me to help me with my problem.

I am glad you solved it now.
    Last edited by Thankful; 09-04-2006 at 12:18 AM.
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site

Quote Originally Posted by Thankful
    I have no clue who told you this, but whoever told you that he/she was lying to you. When I purchased my domain and web space at GoDaddy, they gave me Windows server by mistake.

I didn't realize that untill I had similar problems with PHP scripts (PHP driven e-mail panel). I simply placed a phone call and in no seconds unbelievable polite member of their technical support, canceled my Windows server order and just switched to Linux one at no additional charge. They just had to cancel previous one so they can switch to Linux.

Also, in general... their technical support is unbelievable polite and knowledgeable for a change. I've really never had not a single bad experience with them.

PHP mail panel works perfect on my site ( www.sasha-z-creations.com )

Cheers !

EDIT: Now I see you realized that when you called them and they did exactly the same thing they did to me to help me with my problem.

I am glad you solved it now.
    The first rep I called told me I would have to purchase PHP hosting, then offered the solution to try googling.

Then I wrote here and "geezer" greatfully offered the suggestion to try to call them back and ask for them to switch from windows to linux for FREE!

So I called back and this rep was really nice! She said the switch is free and that it would take anywhere from 24-72 hours for it to be applied! HOORAY!

But how sad it is that so many others I've spoken with or read their threads on the internet stated that they were so frustrated or did not want to pay extra costs so they switched companies. And here it was a FREE thing for them to do!

I'm writing to go daddy to see if they can take a look into this matter and to perhaps post a FAQ on their site with credits or perhaps some form of gratituity to "geezer". He's the one that's helped go daddy maintain customers that they would have lost!

GO GEEZER! Hooray!!!

LOL, Naaaa, not me. Like I said, I'm pretty sure you can do the switch right from your control panel. The problem is, when you first buy hosting, it goes to Microsoft server by default. You have to check it for unix/linux, so half the time I order space, I forget it and have to switch. It never takes 24 hours tho.

Mr "geezer"
    Thank you again for this most fantastic files and online tutorial!
    I got it to work today. HOORAY!

You are the best! Hope you enjoyed the weekend holiday!
    I HIGHLY recommend all Flash users and go daddy customers to use Mr "geezer's" files that he posted above. Have fun using them! They are fantastic!

Happy Flash User
    www.robbimac.net

sending via Flash, ASP and Godaddy

Hey, I stumbled across this thread in my own search for help with those GD forms! But the site I'm working on has to use ASP, I had a friend write another script the site uses, and I'm a complete ASP idiot (by choice!) and need to use the basic Godaddy ASP mail form.

The site has an email form in Flash MX, published as v.7. Using the basic Godaddy hosting package. What I did was this:

My form is in a MC on the main timeline. Within that MC, set your input text boxes and give them var names as per usual. On the form's "send" button, add the code:
    loadVariablesNum("gdform.asp", 0, "POST");
    I haven't gotten to any advanced stuff, like when the data is actually posted, post a "success" frame or anything like that. That's next!

Now... on the html page that your swf is embedded in, add the following form tag anywhere within the <body> tags:

<form method="post" action="gdform.asp"></form>

(You don't have to do this, but without it, ALL of the variables and HTML code on the page get posted to the form)

Finally, make sure you have set up the designated email address in the Godaddy control panel, it's under the "Form Mail" option in the "content" tab. Without that, you can't send any forms on the site.

As per the other threads, it does take a bit for the form to actually arrive in an inbox, on our site hotmail account, it wasn't more than 2 minutes or so.

I really hope this helps someone... I don't usually post answers to FlashKit, only questions! Oh and here's the site (form still under construction) but check it out if you like!
    http://www.nashville1021.com
    Last edited by jennifer_may_; 09-05-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Is it possible to specify the priority of the mail?

$headers .= "X-Priority: 1\n";

this doesn't work in godaddy

none of these forms are working for me :s im using flash 8

Hey, been going through this thread and i've had no luck at all!
    I've got a linux basic package with Godaddy and got nothing!
    I took the files from f8form and uploaded them to the server, all i changed was my address in the php file just to test it out. is there anything else i need to do?
    Cheers
    Ollie

is there anything else i need to do?
    You need to change the address to the php file in the flash movie. Use the full path to it from http:// onward.