A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Shape Tween, chaos!

Shape Tween, chaos!

Hey guys,
    I'm just playing around with shape tweening... and I'm a little confused. I'm just trying to animate a swinging arm (as if someone is walking). So I draw a little bent line, move down the timeline, create another keyframe, move the bottom anchor point of the line a little, a shape tween... perfect. it looks great! Now, when I head down the timeline a little further, add another keyframe, move the bottom anchor forward, add a shape tween... the whole thing goes crazy. the shape flips over itself!! I don't get it. How does one just create smooth movement, without their shape flipping around all over itself? thanks
    Woody

Even with shape tweening, you'll need another layer to put the head on. Otherwise it'll assume it's all one object transforming. If you can't make another layer for whatever reason, let me know and I'll explain another method called Shape hints.

nope, I've isolated the arm... I'm just working with the arm. It's super simple, which is why I'm confused. It's literally a line that I want to swing back and forth, haha
    Woody

I feel your pain bro, I rarely have gotten shape tween to do what I want. I definatley know what your talking about with the strange twisting and stuff, that happens to me all the time.

IMS

If the arm isn't changing shape at all, perhaps a motion tween would be easier?

Mr_Welfare

talk about a half-assed sketch... check out the image I attached. Imagine the red circle is your shoulder.. the arm swing forward and backward, but bends different ways with each motion.

For a better example... let your arm go completely lax, and swing it back and forth. Just imagine it's made of rubber and is just "swing" and bend. That's what I'm going for. haha, fun huh? any ideas why the shape is flipping around though?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Woody

perplexed by actionscript alien_landscape's Avatar
    Check out this thread for some wise words from RUSHvision re. shape tweening.

yeah, I read that earlier. I think maybe I should take a look at the shape hints documentation...
    Woody