A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any open-sourced SDK-based app out there?

Hi people.
    I AM TIRED of trying to get the fexamplecircl.cpp thing compiled into a swf file..
    if I can take a look at the innards of a working application that's based on the SDK I'll probably get more help from that..
    anyone out ther?
    thanks,
    toby

Nope

No OpenSource SDK based apps are out there with the SDK.

I may start up an OpenSource Flash clone some time in the future. However, now I am concentrating on updating the SDK to 5.0 and the SDK documentation site (once up, it should be the best location to check for all your questions...such as MP3 streaming, TTF conversion, etc.. I now have working code for all this and am slowly getting it into place at the same time as updating the SDK).

What is the problem with your compile / SWF?
    First thing to do if you are dealing with animation is check the bounding rectangles...for some reason, they programmers didn't know that the values actually mattered when they made the SDK examples...

--Jesse

wow.. you work for MM?

Anyway,
    all I'm trying to do is compile the easiest example.. the one that makes a low-level circle(or square) and that's not working..
    I'm using VC++6 .. it says 'compiled with 0 errors 0 alerts' but i see no fexamplecircle.swf file...
    Maybe you can answer this question for me..
    I've got a compiled version of the parser.. and I wanted to study the similarites between the parsed code and the source .cpp code ... eventually I want to build an app that can insert an external movie symbol into a swf file..

but first SKD's got to at least give me one swf file..
    thanks for any pointers you can give me.

blessings,
    tagbo

Isn't the Ming Library an open source developement? I know that it is only a Library but hasn't anyone done anything with it?

http://www.opaque.net/ming/

Here is an open Source SWF project.

http://ben.profero.com/~simon/flash/final_project.html

It lists other open source projects.

Smile

OOOH yeah!
    Mucho gracias..
    tagbo

Originally posted by johnie
    Here is an open Source SWF project.

http://ben.profero.com/~simon/flash/final_project.html

It lists other open source projects.

SDK based

These are not "SDK BASED" open source projects.

--Jesse

Solution

Compile the code, then run the generated executable. The executable then will output the files.

--Jesse

I guess I got a bit too excited for nothing..

Yeah.. I took a look at that website... it has some interesting info, but not exactly what i'm looking for.
    Jesse, you'r advice seems like the right direction, but it doesnt change the fact that i have NOT been able to compile ANY of the SDK files into exe's ..
    it really is kinda frustrating..
    why build the SDK so it only runs on VC++6? Is that some kind of Microsoft conspiracy?

What compiler?

What compiler are you using? Are you just compiling to object code? You should be compiling ALL the c/cpp files, linking them together (plus the zlib stuff), and getting a swfproduce.exe (from swfproduce.cpp), there is only mwant to be one executable in the whole thing, it runs each of the examples seperately, which in turn generate their SWFs.

People have compiled it with more than just VC6...although some mod's were needed to remove compiler errors with GCC and some others (mostly non-namespace enabled compiling issues or STL varients).

--Jesse

OOPS you're right they are not SDK based. The Java Flash SDK is out though and as is the Ming Library. The Ming Library can be accesed through Python and the Java SDK can be well accesed through Java.

I agree with you that it was kinda rough that Macromedia made it so that you had to use VC++ to compile the SDK. When regular C++ would have suficed.

Jesse, I'm using VC6++

but I'd rather be using borland's C++5.5 line executable.. or DEV C++ or something.. I just want to know it's flexible.
    Okay, I get that I should be compiling the whole thing into the swfproduce, but i (think) i tried that, and it didnt work.
    I'm kinda new to C++ (have some java bkground), so I dont know the details..
    should I just be doing a compile on the swfproduce.cpp, or should I be doing some kind of linking first?
    And I've looked at the code in the example files (eg fexamplecircle.cpp) and I dont understand why it wont compile on it's own??
    If it's not too much to ask, can you give me some directions on how to compile the swfproduce, or even just a small code that'll produce 1 swf file.. like the circle of square one..
    thanks,
    blessings,
    tagbo

Compile

With VC++, just open up the project (*.dsp...I think...it is the other swfproduce file) it should be there and it shouldn't be too hard to file once you know what you are looking for (just go to project files for the open type...or all if it still isn't there...remember, it isn't a workspace, just a project). Then, hit shift-f5 to compile all the files and run.

The deal is that the examples don't have "main" functions and without main functions, you can't have an executable. You could compile all the files into object code and then simply link them together with any compiler and run the exe generated, but try opening the project, it is the easiest way.

thanks ALOT jesse... it worked..

okay, so now, i have to figure out how to replicate this success on a smaller level...
    can someone look at this code please?
    I simply ripped it out of one of the examples, simplified it and wrapped it in a main()
    it compiles to obj but wont link to become an exe...
    error messages are included below....
    thanks for helping guys,
    tagbo
    ---------------------------------------

#include "F3SDK.h"
    #include "FExample.h"
    #include "HF3SDK.h"
    #include "HFExample.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])

{

FObjCollection allTags;

const FColor white(0xff, 0xff, 0xff);

FCTSetBackgroundColor* background = new FCTSetBackgroundColor(new FColor( white));

allTags.AddFObj(background);

FCTShowFrame *showFrame = new FCTShowFrame();

allTags.AddFObj(showFrame);

allTags.CreateMovie("test.swf", 800, 600, 12);

return (0);

}
    -------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------Configuration: FExRectangle2 - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Linking...
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall FObjCollection::~FObjCollection(void)" (??1FObjCollection@@QAE@XZ)
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall FObjCollection::CreateMovie(char const *,long,long,unsigned long)" (?CreateMovie@FObjCollection@@QAEXPBDJJK@Z)
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall FCTShowFrame::FCTShowFrame(void)" (??0FCTShowFrame@@QAE@XZ)
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall FObjCollection::AddFObj(class FObj *)" (?AddFObj@FObjCollection@@QAEXPAVFObj@@@Z)
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall FCTSetBackgroundColor::FCTSetBackgroundColor(class FColor *)" (??0FCTSetBackgroundColor@@QAE@PAVFColor@@@Z)
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall FColor::FColor(unsigned long,unsigned long,unsigned long)" (??0FColor@@QAE@KKK@Z)
    FExRectangle2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall FObjCollection::FObjCollection(void)" (??0FObjCollection@@QAE@XZ)
    Debug/FExRectangle2.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolved externals
    Error executing link.exe.

FExRectangle2.exe - 8 error(s), 0 warning(s)