A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 vs PS3

360 vs PS3

I'll soon be able to purchase a new system (currently have a PS2 and a Wii) and I'm not sure which one to get. Any opinions you guys have would be great.

PS3: This will have Little Big World and Ratchet and Clank along with the Blu Ray player which is a big draw for me now that HD-DVD is dead.

360: Cheaper and I can use it as a media center extender to get rid of the cables I have running from my computer to my TV. The only exclusive game I know of is Halo 3 which does not interest me in the slightest at this point. Large back catalog.

So, that's what I know. What are your general opinions on each console?

EVP, expect a PM from me within a month

before the hd dvd announcement I would have said xbox no question. I'm not enough of an HDphile for the blu ray player to be a selling point and I don't know how rich the live experience is. With xbox live being so well done (except no browser!), the lack of exclusives and a built in FK friends list, I gotta say xbox.
    For the record, tversity works with ps3 too now.

buy both...and a wii

After buying both I can say buy far PS3 is more than worth the money. If you share media across your network on WMP you can get all you media files off you PC and play them on the Playstation just like an xbox can.

The internet browser is great and the fact you can buy actual money for your wallet meaning you don't have to spend £8 on 800 points when you only need 550 is a great thing to have. You can also download full PS3 games off the market and despite what people seem to think the Ps can handle online with up to 40 people much better than i've ever seen in an xbox live game.

The slideshows and visualisations on the PS are also great things to have. My final point would be that PS actually has an option to allow you to install another OS onto it, such as windows or linux if you feel the need, it's also easy to upgrade the HD to a much higher capacity one if you need to.
    In summary everything on the Play station is better than the xbox.
    Excluding the games. Xbox by far excels both other consoles (obviously) in terms of variety and quantity. But that being said there looks to be several good games lined up for both platforms.
    PS3, but its best to get both so you can get the full gaming experience.
    Completely ignore any people saying PSN is crap, apart from the fact few people talk the netcode seems to be MUCH better done for almost every game i've played online so far. (Most noticeably in Burnout and Resistance:FOM in which i've played with 40 people and experienced minimum jumps)

::EDIT::
    On the installing windows, its a hack but aparently linux is fairly easy to put on it.
    Last edited by tidenburg; 02-18-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I have all 3 as well and like them all.

Here's my take:

Xbox360 - Huge backlog of great titles, good price, tons of online content to purchase(movies/tv shows/games), xbox live is easy to use, gamerscore is addicting(every cross platform game that comes out usually gets the nod on my 360 because of the gamerscore).

PS3 - If you have an HD TV the Blu-Ray player is a great and cheap addition(although at $30+ a pop for a movie it's gotten little use so far on my end), the interface is smooth and very deep with a ton of options, Playstation Store is still pretty bare but there's a few quality titles to purchase in there.

Since getting my PS3 a month or so ago, I've only played Heavenly Sword and a handfull of demo's and PSN games.

If i were to buy a console right now, i'd go 360 hands down.

I thought you could get achievements on your PC now for you xbox account? Or was that just Halo and Shadowrun?
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I don't know anyone with a PS3, they've all got X-Box's. So if your a cheapskate like myself then get an X-Box then you can just borrow your friend's games

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Basically both are fine, but at this very moment the 360 is probably the better bet due to cost and catalogue. Current exclusives include, as mentioned, halo 3, bioshock, gears of war, mass effect, crackdown and dead rising to name a couple off the top of my head, plus the grand theft auto 4 bonus content. All very recommendable and mostly cheap older titles as the 360 has been out for about two and a half years now. While PS3 has some good things in the works, there really aren't any must have killer titles yet. My recommendation would be to grab the 360 now and pick up a ps3 when it has a little weight in it's catalogue and takes a few price cuts.

I'm willing to get your PS2 for $79.90 so you could offset it for your PS3? Maybe this'll lessen the burdens. ; D

Well, if I got a PS3, it wouldn't have backwards compatibility, so I'll be keeping that.

Ohkay, $89.90. Final offer.

My brother decided to make a statement and buy a PS3. Traded it off to my cousin for a used laptop about 3-4 months later.

I'm happy with the 360. Also got a Wii recently and have enjoyed that too. You have your game bases covered with those two machines, imo.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Well, looks like I'll get a 360. I'm guessing online games aren't cross platform?

Maybe by 2009 PS3's will have another price cut and I can pick one of them up. Thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    ...tversity works with ps3 too now.
    tversity whore.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Only drawback to the 360... the damn fan noise.

Otherwise, I would have gotten one. But then again, I'd not have needed a domokun cover for my 360 like I do for my PS3.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yeah the general noise from a 360 is insane. When I play Madden 08, it is about 3 times as bad as when i play any other game. I think it's a combo of the fan and harddrive.

My PS3 has been very quiet so far.

Another thing to be aware of is that the 360 does not come with a in-box wireless adapter. You have to buy that separately for around $99.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    tversity whore.
    haha, the damned opportunities were abound yesterday

$99 it outrageous for an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by creativeinsomnia
    Another thing to be aware of is that the 360 does not come with a in-box wireless adapter. You have to buy that separately for around $99.
    No problem, I've got a spare wireless router with DD-WRT.

Funny thing about the wireless router, my brother bought 360 and paid $100 for the wireless dongle, then bought a Wii and thought he had to do the same. I came over to his house one day and saw the USB stick in the back of the console and explained to him that it wasn't doing anything as the wireless is built in.

So what you're saying is there's vast difference between yours and your brothers intelligence?

Only on some things. He beats me hands down on hockey related talk.