A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Odishon aka Audition (1999)

Odishon aka Audition (1999)

Well I doubt many of you have seen it. But I will say I am glad atleast the Asian community can make a good horror film unlike the crappy remake factory we call hollywood. This movie is from 1999 but still beats anything recently released.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I never really saw it as a horror film. I never really got that scared so much as freaked out. It's a well done movie but I really dont like those Ichi type films.

Yeah great movie. Saw that back in 2000 at the Phantasia (or Fantasia?) film festival in Quebec, covering it for my job at the time.. My first time to Quebec.

Anyway, yeah Takeshi Miike's films can be rather extreme, but Audition is rather tame for him, but one of my favorites. Heh, watch "Audition" back to back with "May" for a freak out fest.

It is pretty freaky, not really scary, but I did jump when that bag moved.

I finally just finished watching Ichi the Killer(when you are sick you have time to catch up on movies) I was not as impressed as I was with it as I was Audition. Audition is a bit slow but the build up for the final is amazing and well done. Audition is only 1:50 or so and it felt pretty quick while Ichi on the other hand is 2:08 and felt like 100. I was just waiting for it to end. Yes there is gore and all the goodies you look for in a Takeshi Miike's film but wow...bleh! plot was boring, build up was way too slow, lame characters especially Ichi.

I was surfing around IMDB today and got together quite a list of movies to watch. Anyone suggest any others in the same ball park as Audition?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Let me talk to my film buddy, he's the reason I've seen ichi, audition, battle royal etc. He's got to have some good suggestions.

I heard that there is some talks of an american remake of Battle Royal. I will have lost the 2% of hope I have left for hollywood if that ever happens.

Crazy ****

Fudoh http://imdb.com/title/tt0123092/

Gozu http://imdb.com/title/tt0361668/

Visitor Q http://imdb.com/title/tt0290329/

Some good Movies

New Zatoichi http://imdb.com/title/tt0363226/

Infernal Affiars http://imdb.com/title/tt0338564/

Oldboy http://imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

and

Versus

I also have a link to his entire DVD collection if you just wanna browse.

if you don't mind can you link me?

I have all but 2 of those on my "list" already but now added thanks a lot.

I rented Irreversible, 3...Extremes, and Apocalypse Now: Redux.

I got Irreversible because I keep hearing the name brought up on discussion boards over at IMDB so I am hoping not to be let down.

3...Extremes is 3 shorts made by different cult classic directors: Fruit Chan - Dumplings, Takashi Miike - Box, and Chan-wook Park - Cut. These are 3 very good directors and I didn't even realise that "Dumplings" was one of the shorts. That is an actual full length movie I have on my list so I am pretty excited to atleast get a glipse of what the full movie has to offer.

*edit*
    I was over at imdb and read that the R1 version of 3...extremes came with the full length version of Dumplings. What do I see to my surprise? I opened the dvd case and there it was a second disk one with the 3 shorts and the other with the full length movie. This video store is the best!

Apocalypse Now: Redux is just a classic I haven't seen in forever and hardly even remember it and this directors cut version has 49 minutes ADDED to it. Is that some sort of record haha?

ps: if any mod reads this since this has gone way off topic(in a good way) can you change the title to some sort of fitting title. I wanna keep this thread around for other movie suggestions and dicussions for this sort of genre or off beat foreign movies. Thanks.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 07-11-2006 at 05:20 PM.

good film, but a little slow... has many of the cliches that japanese horror always seems to have...

is hard candy just the western remake/rip off of this?
    haven't seen hard candy yet btw?

go watch Tom Yum Goong

Just finished watching Apocalypse Now: Redux. I forgot how amazing that film is. Couldn't stop watching it just had to keep going all 3+ hours

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Just finished watching Apocalypse Now: Redux. I forgot how amazing that film is. Couldn't stop watching it just had to keep going all 3+ hours
    Is the redux better than the original?

Str8 Gangster
    Much better so much more added. Like I said 49 minutes. If you are bored and have 3 hours on your hands I say give it a go.

*edit, this is wannabe on a friends computer forgot to log my own name in*

Quote Originally Posted by xixjfastxix
    Much better so much more added. Like I said 49 minutes. If you are bored and have 3 hours on your hands I say give it a go.

*edit, this is wannabe on a friends computer forgot to log my own name in*
    SOCK PUPPETTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong. Why would I pick a lame name like that hahah

He is just a lurker. Which I actually just found out using his computer...

What ever! Tell it to the judge!