A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quick thoughts on this Business card design

Quick thoughts on this Business card design

Hey guys if you can rip this apart make me cry and help me build myself back up that would be great. If you can do it in the next couple hours that would be greater (it needs to go to press tomorrow afternoon).

comments/crits?

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

after some comments here is the current version

-From a work for hire ad

Hey dude...I was away from my computer for several hours or would have responded sooner. The one little thing I would have suggested...and everyone will probably feel differently about it...is that I would move the text block with your name over to the left slightly to better center it in that space.

Otherwise, it looks pretty cool. Is that city where you live or have any other connection to your business? Just curious.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Looks good to me, One thing to check is that the light greys in the paper effects print ok, some digital printers will print it weaker than it looks, possibly make another version slightly stronger greys and take that to the printers as well. Nice design

bp

thanks guys, lefteyewilly helped me get from A to B. I may take a poke at moving the name and info to the left. Unfortunately we didn't get samedia.com which I had hoped so our domain on our email is gonna end up being kind of long.

Anyone have any thoughts of breaking up jwinslow (at) straightaheadmedia (dot) com into 2 lines to serve as my email and our website?

@BP thanks, I still need to learn the ins and outs of printing so I'll have to talk to them.

@Rush, the city is Pittsburgh and where I currently reside and where I'm sort of from.

-From a work for hire ad

I like it Jwin. I like the progression from A-B especially, the way the city takes up more of the card is great.

Make sure when you make it to leave some area around the borders for a bleed. This doesn't mean you have to add white space, you can just make the card size slightly bigger than an actual card, and the printer will chop the rest.

The only thing I can see that maybe I would do differently is remove the crumpled paper effect from the right hand side of the card. It looks to me like the card is broken into two parts, led by the text. The there is a change from the paper to the white, and from the one font to the other. I think that if you just kept that entire side pure white, with the text aligned maybe equally from the bottom and from the right (which I think it is now) it would look great.

Again, just my 2 cents. Also, what are you going to be doing for the back? Another pure white design? I just recently made some cards for my fathers business, and we put the logo on the back. Now, I'm not saying that is the approach that you should take, but we got a lot of positive feedback from having double sided cards. That said, double sided colours aren't that much more expensive either, but it all depends on what you want. If I were to make the back as well, I would try to mimic what is on the front with the torn paper. I think it would look really sweet, almost as if the left side of the card was in some sort of paper 'pocket' or sleeve.

Again, just my opinion. The card looks great though, nice work.

yeh that's a copy with out the bleed. A logo on the back isn't a bad idea I'll see what the cost is. Generally it seems if you do just black its not much more but if you throw in color it throws the price up a bit.
    Thanks

-From a work for hire ad

i agree to have somthing in the back but personally i dont like putting same logo on each side. it looks repetitive[spelling?] id just put some light pattern or color, me think it looks a bit more 'classy' that way

Quote Originally Posted by DaVulf
    The only thing I can see that maybe I would do differently is remove the crumpled paper effect from the right hand side of the card. It looks to me like the card is broken into two parts, led by the text.
    that's the only part of your comments that i disagree with Davulf. I think it really draws the eye to his contact info (which is really the most important part of a business card)...also...not sure if you've seen Jwin's site, but the card fits the site to a tee...which in my marketing, not designer mind, works wonders with pulling off an overall image of a company.

...hmm...now i might post my card for some thoughts before it prints...

Let's have a look, dude!
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

doo it, seriously, doo it

-From a work for hire ad