dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Question about finding an artist...

Question about finding an artist...

I'm just curious basically as to what point in the creation of a game would it be best to start looking for an artist. Well, now that I ask that maybe the broader question is really just what are people's experiences when it comes to finding someone to do the graphics for their game? In my situation I'm referring to someone who would be willing to do the graphics for free. I would presume the only way someone would be willing to do the graphics for a game for free is if they think the game looks really promising, so one would need to have developed the game to the point that people would be interested or even enthusiatic about their art being used for the game. Basically I'm just looking for any pointers about finding someone to do the graphics for my game. Im not asking for anyone to do them just yet because I haven't developed my game enough that I'm confident in it's success yet, but I am starting to feel that point being in the not too distant future, with all that said, any advice is welcome, hopefully no flames but if necessary, feel free. Thanks in advance,

ChaseNYC
    mmm signature

That sounds like a good idea. I would suggest (without much experience about the subject) that you post a "demo" here or/and in the art forums asking for somebody to do art for your game. An alternative is posting info about the game, along with some screenshots of the game in action (with gfx placeholders)..

But ofc you have to give something back to the artist, like his name mentioned in the game, along with some links or something.. I dont think any would do free art for a game without some credit..
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

I assumed that they would be in the game credits, for some reason I see the graphics as half of making the game, programming as the other half. Obviously there are more parts but for some reason I see them as pretty equal. I would love to here from anyone who has gone through the experience of trying to find an artist for their game. I noticed a page back there is one thread asking for a game artist with no replies, I would also like to here from any artists and what make them more likely to consider doing the work or just their feedback on this process. Thanks for the input T1ger. Thanks in advance,

ChaseNYC

P.S. if I want to hear artist's opinions and advice I would assume that a post would need to be made in a seperate forum where the artists are more frequently viewing; however, I do know it is frowned upon to "double post" so what would be the best solution to this problem?
    mmm signature

usually i go by gameplay > artwork but if i ever need any eye-candy i get my friend to make it for me
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I think what I said came out wrong but I meant moreso that in terms of credits you put the graphic artist just as prominent as the coder, or at least that is how I would do it. Anyways, still hoping to hear from anyone who has had some experience with this matter, I guess if no one has anymore insight I'll try and ask a mod to have it moved to the artist section or at least put a link to this thread in that forum...
    mmm signature

crossconscious
    I usually e-mail some people that made nice things, and ask them to give me their price. If I can afford it, I hire them.
    As for free work, good luck finding someone good. It's possible, and they will need to be very interested in your project. But personally I prefer paying artists. It's indie work, so it's usually not too expensive.

Not that I've worked together with other artists a lot, only twice and only once on a project that's already finished.

ChaseNYC, just make a new thread about it in an art-subforum
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    In my case I look for people with the same interests and we pay eachother with job, I made the web page of an illustrator, since then he makes me all the art in my games

For the music I promise him to add him in the credits for his portfolio because he is starting in the world of music

For my 3D artist I do programming and he pay me with 3D graphics for my games

My pixel artist ask me game engines for him and ask for art for mines

Yo can find people to help you if you do something for them, nothing is free, maybe you can find ilustrators interested in games and 0 programming knowledge to make projects together

I think you need an artist when you decide you need it

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

well, just woke up so i'm a little bit cranky but my thread was removed from the art forum as a double post. I understand it is kind of against the rules even if a mod had suggested it. Anyways I'm feeling that I'm not going to get much more input, especially from artists but thank you to all have given their input.

-ChaseNYC
    mmm signature