dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Syd Barrett Dead at 60

Syd Barrett Dead at 60

interesting, yet slightly wasted, life. R.I.P. you madman!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi...oyd/index.html

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

He had become overweight and shaved his eyebrows
    Never good to shave your eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Never good to shave your eyebrows.
    Yeah, you can never look concerned, surprised or sneaky if you shave your eyebrows.

"Shine on you crazy diamond"

RIP Syd.

Honestly...had Pink Floyd not gained the popularity they gained with later (much later) releases than the ones that Syd was involved in, you wouldn't even know this guy's name. He's barely a pimple on the ass of modern music history.

His notoriety is only slightly less than that of Pete Best.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

almost every pink floyd album deals with mental problems in one way or another, so perhaps syd was more influential than one would think.

another childhood hero bites the dust, i must be getting old..

It's almost as if he has been dead for a long time already. I am a HUGE Pink Floyd fan, but honestly I don't really like anything they did when Syd was the lead singer. Who knows where Floyd would have gone had David Gilmore not replaced him.

look, i'm not a huge syd fan at all, but without a doubt sid barrett is exponentially more important that pete best. that comparison is laughable. that early pink floyd stuff drives me crazy, but he wrote songs (the song bike is actually really cool/funny) and became an icon of instability. pete best is nobody.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Many artists have acknowledged Barrett's influence on their work. Paul McCartney and Pete Townshend were early fans; Jimmy Page, David Bowie, Brian Eno, and The Damned all expressed interest in working with him at some point during the 1970s. In fact, Bowie recorded a cover of "See Emily Play" on his 1973 album Pin Ups. On a VH1 program, honoring rock bands and artists, Pete Townshend gave a speech honoring Syd Barrett, and telling a story where he told Eric Clapton that he had to come see this guy play, who was Barrett. Townshend called Barrett legendary. Syd was one of Townshend's many influences, along with John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley and even Joe Walsh. Syd as guitarist was remarkable for his free-form style in playing chords (and not the echo, the tapes or the effects); his rhythmic guitar, as well as his minimalist and dissonant solos, can be seen as the main influence on punk, post-punk and grunge guitarists, and still is the main influence on indie bands as of today. No other guitarist of his generation could claim this.

Other artists/bands that have claimed influence and/or covered Barrett's work include Étienne Daho, This Mortal Coil, Marc Bolan, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Robert Smith (of The Cure), Johnny Marr (formerly of The Smiths), Kevin Shields (of My Bloody Valentine), Primal Scream, Voivod (band), The Libertines, Dirty Pretty Things, The Beta Band, Lone Pigeon, Julian Cope, Robyn Hitchcock, The Flaming Lips, REM, Mercury Rev, Replicants (featuring former members of Tool and Failure), East Bay Ray (of the Dead Kennedys), Camper Van Beethoven, Voivod, The Three O'Clock, Pearl Jam, Love and Rockets, Elevator To Hell, The Melvins, Transatlantic, Phish, Dream Theater, Graham Coxon (formerly of Blur), John Frusciante (of the Red Hot Chili Peppers), Eppo, Skobot Bzzzz, and the Vinyl Skyway.

extract from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by j_hunter182
    "Shine on you crazy diamond"

RIP Syd.
    wow. my favorite musician of all time.....

I'm going to agree with nords again. We don't see the influence because the majority of us didn't grow up in the Opium/LSD era, so that music is just too off base from what we listen to. But what Syd did put out was influential to it's time, not today by any means, but when it came out. Unlike the 'modern' Pink Floyd who's influence is still around today.

If you look at syd like other bands or musicians like the MC5 (among many others) who weren't around for very long, but had influenced other musicians...that is sometimes more important than influencing all the standard music idiot public out there. But the public never pays attention to the 'man behind the curtain'...they just want happy crappy music that they can say to their closest friend in their car.."Dude, this new band is awesome"...msot people don't give a crap about he influence of the music, just the music itself.

Pink Floyd 4Ever!

i am one of those rare floyd fans who prefers gilmour over waters. i mean, i really like the heady darker later stuff, be give me 'meddle', 'atom heart mother', or 'ummagumma' any day.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

i thought you were against the classics?!

lol - from what i've heard, it's sort of uncool to be a gilmour fan.
    sacrilege amongst 'real' pink floyd fans.
    it would have been way too dark and serious without him....

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

The spokeswoman said a low-key, private funeral would be held. She did not disclose the cause of death.
    I wonder if he snuffed it.

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    It's almost as if he has been dead for a long time already. I am a HUGE Pink Floyd fan, but honestly I don't really like anything they did when Syd was the lead singer. Who knows where Floyd would have gone had David Gilmore not replaced him.
    Have to agree with that.

I'm a big floyd fan too, Gilmour's my fave guitarist of all time. Seems to me they were absolute tosh before Dave showed up and taught them how to play.

Without Dave they'd have just been long forgotten skint LSD burnouts.

Comfortably Numb v Arnold Layne

Time v Song about Syd's mouse (think it was called Gerald?!)

No contest.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    It's like a lot of things - you had to be there. As a good friend said last night, 'I think I was, but it's all a bit of a blur'
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

delete me.

I like syd's stuff over waters with the exception of the wall soundtrack. I love it. soooooooo much. whats weird is he died the day I changed my avatar from DSOTM to Chip.

r.i.p legend.