A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The getURL PDF topic. Can someone help?

The getURL PDF topic. Can someone help?

Ok here's the deal. I searched extensively last night on several forums on the PDF issue and I couldn't find anything definitive for my issue. Sorry if this is an old tired topic of discussion.

1. I am making a cd-rom that has a flash exe, an autorun file and a folder with 65 PDF files.

2. I have buttons set up in the exe to open the pdfs with the getURL. I am ok with these loading in a browser window. Not a big deal.

Here's the issue. When I test it locally it works fine but once I burn the cd it is unable to locate the pdf's off the cd.

The button in the exe is trying to locate the hard drive path PDF's but I need it to look at the cd PDF's.

I realize this is probably a path issue and it seems so simple but yet the solution is haunting me.

How do i fix this/get around it?

Any help would be great.

can you post your code or movie? and why not use flash paper to convert the pdf into swf's ??

Thanks for the response. What is flash paper? Having swf's would be better for this anyway. The main thing is whatever the final file type is it needs to be printable.

Also here is my code

on (release) {
    getURL("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Desktop\\Multimedia CD\\Tear Sheet PDF\\#101 Medici Chest.pdf", "_blank");
    }

I used this and then burned the cd and it tries to look at the hard drive

Then I tried this when I burned the cd hoping it would ignore the path to the drive and look at it on the cd...

on (release) {
    getURL("Tear Sheet PDF\\#101 Medici Chest.pdf", "_blank");
    }

Now in Firefox it opens two tabbed windows one blank and one to a random site. I read a thread about this last night but it didn't really explain this issue.
    Last edited by Nevada; 07-11-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Well the first one if it worked would only work on your computer. The second one is closer to what it should be, however I'm not sure why you have two "\" between each, you should only need one, it should probably be the other way -- "/".

This is how I do it

on (release) {
    getURL("directory file/###.pdf");
    }

by directory file i mean if you have your pdf's in a folder on the cd rom.. like an images folder. This is using Flash MX of course. Back in the day I had batch files set up using fscommand... it was a pain...

MikeC

flash paper is an application that allows you print to a swf. Look it up on adobes site.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm getting closer. I am using this now from mikec

on (release) {
    getURL("directory file/###.pdf");
    }

(of course with my folder and pdf name substituted)

It opens the browser put the pdf does not load. (mentally bashes keyboard)

Hey Nevada.. Are you working on a PC or a MAC? I built my cdrom flash file on a mac but it was for a PC. It's been a while but now it won't open he PDF file on my MAC.. I'll have to test it out on a PC and get back with you... I haven't heard any complaints from anyone so I assume it still works.

I'm working on a PC

What version of windows?

Thanks to everyone who posted to help out. I decided to go the fscommand batch file route and it works great now. The DOS window popping up isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be.

thats great only if everyone had a PC :-\